Processing Community Day @ New York

Hi friends, I’m posting here to start a dialogue for people interested in co-organizing or in other ways participating in creating a Processing Community Day in New York.

Info on Processing Community Day here.

Our tasks would be to pick a day, find a location, find speakers, put together talks/workshops, and get the word out.

It would be nice to have a diversity of voices and communities participate in this! I think there will be lots of people interested, so this might be a nice place for us to begin conversations.

Thanks for getting this started! Just throwing this out there: I would love to see Pedro Cruz present. He is an Assistant Professor of Information Design and Visualization at Northeastern University. He used Processing to create the U.S. Immigration Tree Trunk visualization, which in my opinion is one of the best of year so far.

So far we have a Parsons Grad Student on board willing to help us get space at the New School and help with whatever, and someone from the SFPC community interested in speaking or helping with whatever.

I may be able to get support from The Knowledge House(where I am currently a fellow Alumni be it space, attendees, presenters, or even logistical support. The people I talked to are only knowledgeable about processing for Data Visualization though and were very interested for those reasons.

We just need to give a good account of what processing is and we should be able to get some
Support.

Look it up here: http://www.theknowledgehouse.org/

wgeary Pedro Cruz sounds great. I am curious as to how we should get speakers though. I think we should have a wide range of experience levels for presenters but I am also not sure how many people we will have.

that’s great. Knowledge House is a good community partner. I think there’s a whole host of other spaces (including universities) that could be a good location to host as well.

Hi! I’m the grad student at Parsons mentioned above :slight_smile:

I just looked at the processing community day page and will ask my department about space availability during that month.

Does anyone have a connection to NYU ITP school? That would also be a logical candidate for the event venue.

Once we have a venue we should just reach out to folks via email :slight_smile:

Once the schedule and venue is settled, I can help out with scheduling talks/workshops. I’d also be more than happy to give a workshop for intermediate developers and up.