Processing Community Day @ New York

Hi friends, I’m posting here to start a dialogue for people interested in co-organizing or in other ways participating in creating a Processing Community Day in New York.

Info on Processing Community Day here.

Our tasks would be to pick a day, find a location, find speakers, put together talks/workshops, and get the word out.

It would be nice to have a diversity of voices and communities participate in this! I think there will be lots of people interested, so this might be a nice place for us to begin conversations.

5 Likes

Thanks for getting this started! Just throwing this out there: I would love to see Pedro Cruz present. He is an Assistant Professor of Information Design and Visualization at Northeastern University. He used Processing to create the U.S. Immigration Tree Trunk visualization, which in my opinion is one of the best of year so far.

2 Likes

So far we have a Parsons Grad Student on board willing to help us get space at the New School and help with whatever, and someone from the SFPC community interested in speaking or helping with whatever.

I may be able to get support from The Knowledge House(where I am currently a fellow Alumni be it space, attendees, presenters, or even logistical support. The people I talked to are only knowledgeable about processing for Data Visualization though and were very interested for those reasons.

We just need to give a good account of what processing is and we should be able to get some
Support.

Look it up here: http://www.theknowledgehouse.org/

wgeary Pedro Cruz sounds great. I am curious as to how we should get speakers though. I think we should have a wide range of experience levels for presenters but I am also not sure how many people we will have.

that’s great. Knowledge House is a good community partner. I think there’s a whole host of other spaces (including universities) that could be a good location to host as well.

Hi! I’m the grad student at Parsons mentioned above :slight_smile:

I just looked at the processing community day page and will ask my department about space availability during that month.

Does anyone have a connection to NYU ITP school? That would also be a logical candidate for the event venue.

Once the schedule and venue is settled, I can help out with scheduling talks/workshops. I’d also be more than happy to give a workshop for intermediate developers and up.

Is anyone interested in working with me to host/teach some free introduction to programming workshops through processing? This would be separate and in advance of the community day event. I want to be able to introduce people to computing for whatever their interests and welcome newcomers to the Processing community if they wish. This would be a start for outreach, I know the people I spoke to at The Knowledge House only know of Processing for data visualization, and some seem interested in learning more, and this may be a way to do so. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Matilda

1 Like

Great idea!

Would people in the community be interested in meeting up in person to plan? Sometime in mid-August? I think getting us together in a room might help cohere things! I’m pretty flexible on dates and spaces, and can probably host us around Union square if that helps.

I recently used Processing to create an animated map of USA weapons exports from 1950-2017, and it kind of went viral! Received 4 million views across social media in just one week. I’d be happy to present the project at Processing Community Day and talk about Processing for visualizing geographic data, if there’s interest. Here it is: https://vimeo.com/279923192?quality=1080p

5 Likes

Very cool. That’s the kind of thing I think people would be interested in.

Hi Everyone!

I’m Rebecca + I want to help out / get involved in any way I can. I was at PCD at MIT last year photographing. Reading through the thread I should mention that I graduated from ITP in 2017 so I still know some folks over there. Would love to meet up and chat irl w/ y’all soon.

Looking forward - this is gonna be so rad!

2 Likes

Hi everyone, Babycastles has offered the use of their space for a first meeting, to be held Sunday September 9 at 5pm. This will be a chance for us to meet each other, figure out mutual goals, and what and how we want to plan our Processing Community Day New York to be held in January or February. We will have more meetings, so if this doesn’t work, we will figure out a way to share our meeting notes and get feedback from a larger community.

Babycastles
145 W.14th St.
Downstairs, Ring Doorbell
NY, NY 10011

Sunday the 9th works for me! Thanks for setting this up Lee.

1 Like

I would love to see Will :point_up:️present! I can vouch that he’s a really good speaker: he presented at my Transit Techies Meetup a few months ago and people loved his transit visualization tool.

1 Like

Facebook event page here

Looking forward to meeting new friends Sunday

Unfortunately I’m unable to make it this Sunday (am out of the country) but would please like to stay involved and help out!

Sorry to have missed this! I’m going to try to attend future organizing meetings.

Did any next steps come out of this meeting?

Here are our meeting notes!