Launcher seems to be ignored in the preferences

Hi! In my preferences.txt I have a line like this:

launcher=/home/user/bin/showDirectory.fish

This used to work fie in the past but not anymore. When I press CTRL+K it opens a terminal window which closes immediately. Inside the script I added echo "1" > /tmp/AAA to verify it is running, but the file AAA is not created. Calling showDirectory.fish from the command line works as expected.

I tried replacing launcher= with launcher.linux=, but no change.

I can’t use Show Sketch Folder. Any suggestions?

Do you know around which point version of PDE this stopped working?

Unfortunately not. In the current version when I choose Show Sketch Folder it opens a terminal window and closes it immediately. I just tried in 3.4 and it doesn’t even seem to try :slight_smile: So no quickly appearing/disappearing window.

I guess it’s something related to my system.

If it is your system – does a regular bash/sh shell script work? Any chance it is permissions related to your custom fish shell?

Oops ignore what I wrote earlier: it does work with 3.4!

I had commented out the part that opens the window and added a line that creates an empty file in /tmp just for testing. So when I tried with 3.4 it actually worked fine, it created that file.

So something in the most recent Processing breaks this in my system: the script doesn’t seem to be executed at all (my test file is not created) with bash / fish / sh.

It sounds like you have enough information to submit an issue to https://github.com/processing/processing/issues

To investigate yourself you could try searching for “launcher”

…and then using Blame view to inspect code around that feature, e.g.:

I see the problem at

Before

Preferences.get("launcher");

had priority if it was set. Now it does

if(Desktop.isDesktopSupported()) { super.openFolder(file); }

which triggers

Desktop.getDesktop().open(file);

in DefaultPlatform (ignoring the preferences). Thanks for the help! Knowing what’s the issue is good enough for me :slight_smile:

Really glad that helped.

Would this still count as a bug for others? If so, it might still be worth filing a bug or feature request.

I think it is confusing to have the launcher option which gets ignored if a certain condition is met. But I guess preferences.txt is mostly undocumented. I’ll let someone else open the issue :slight_smile:

I’ll leave a keyword here in case someone struggles with this: xdg-open

1 Like