"Welcome to Processing 4" window always launches

Hello,

First off, congrats on Processing 4! It looks great!

Yet, once the application launches, there is no way to stop the launch of the “Welcome to Processing 4” window, despite the tiny check box on the bottom not being checked (ie, the “Show this message on startup”). I’ve tried it checking the box, as well as unchecking, and rebooting.

Is there a specific line in the Processing preferences file in the ~/Library folder that I can tweak to stop this? I need to stop it for an exhibition and don’t want it showing on the projection.

Thanks in advance for your tips and direction.

~ LadyK

1 Like

I changed the last 4 lines of the Preferences file to “true”. Despite not having Processing open while I made the changes, renaming the old Preferences file, and saving the modified file as “preferences.txt”, the last line as “true” wouldn’t stick. I did the process just mentioned again, with deleting the last line. Despite that, a small welcome window still appears.

This topic gave me a hint:

I have these in preferences.txt and I no longer see the welcome message:

welcome.four.beta.seen=false
welcome.four.beta.show=false
welcome.seen=false
welcome.show=false

I did the edit with Processing closed.

:)

3 Likes

That did it! Thanks so much glv!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello,

Another edit to the preferences.txt file!

The default:

editor.window.height.default=600

Edited:
editor.window.height.default=650

It was worth every pixel!

To the folks at home…

The preferences.txt file can be found here:

And you can open the folder down at the bottom:

Close Processing before editing!

You may also want to refresh the folder if it was open while closing Processing… Processing does a thing backing up the file and windows does not refresh this.

:)

1 Like