Development of p5.js Showcase page for the website, GSoC 2020

Hello everyone,
I am Ritesh Patil, an undergrad from NIT-Rourkela. I have been looking forward to GSOC-2020. I went through the project ideas and found out the ‘showcase page development’ topic an interesting one. I went through the GitHub page for the website and I was quite comfortable with the code. I fixed some bugs which I thought would improve the site. I have some ideas for the project and I would like to work on it.
It would be really helpful if anyone could guide me in contacting the possible mentors for this project so that I could try to understand the idea more and could know if there are any specific requirements for it. Accordingly, I will try to have a plan for the work.

Thank you for your help!

3 Likes

@lmccart @kjhollen
On the project ideas page, for this particular idea, you were the ones who were the possible mentors. It would be great if could get to know more about this project or any other ideas/requirements that are necessary for this page. Accordingly, if I have any ideas for the page I could try to work on them as per the requirements

2 Likes

@jeremydouglass Regarding this project, I am unable to contact any mentors. It would be very helpful if you could guide me

1 Like

@riteshsp2000 It would be good to start by looking at the write-up by Ashley Kang who began this project last summer. Think about ways you might extend the project by (1) developing the site, and (2) adding to the curation of examples. What criteria would you use for curating? How would you reach out to people? What is missing?

3 Likes

@lmccart Okay I went through the write-up and it was very insightful. I made some points for majorly the criteria for selecting the projects, different coders or designers using p5.js and the changes/additions to the showcase page. I am starting to work on the proposal for GSOC. Are there any points that you wish to emphasize or any guidance regarding the proposal? It would be helpful if you could guide me for the same.

@riteshsp2000 please see application guidelines and application template for key points

3 Likes

Hi @riteshsp2000, you can share a document here if you want us to review any work in progress. Good luck!

2 Likes

hey @kjhollen. Ya, I was working on my proposal. I have some ideas for the showcase page, kind of summarized them in it. So should I share that document here, it is just a draft, not the final one. Probably after going through it, you could suggest any changes or additions?

hey, @kjhollen @lmccart I have prepared a draft for my GSoC proposal. Here is the link

Any feedback, changes or suggestions?
Any key points that I should be adding or anything that you feel should be changed in it…

1 Like

hi @riteshsp2000, can you please enable comments on the doc directly? Thank you!

1 Like

@kjhollen I have enable comments on the document. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great! I left some comments inline. Good luck!

2 Likes

@kjhollen I have left some responses to your comments. It would be great if you could go through them once. Once clear ill make the final changes and submit the proposal.

@kjhollen Also there is a share your proposal for a review option on the GSoC site, As you have reviewed it here would be okay if skip that or is it advisable to share it there too?