Processing Community Day @ Chicago

Hi! As long as it’s on a Sunday, that works for me!

A suggestion for this organization phase is to use Trello, which it is a dashboard where you can organize activities and events. The basic software functionality is free. In trello, you have a dashboard which could be assigned per project. Inside a dashboard, you have lists and lists are mad of cards. You can capture your ideas using a single list. Create another list to promote the cards (ideas) that you want to implement (don’t forget to assign/delegate those cards to members).

For a dashboard, you can invite different people to join.

If one member takes the initiative, he/she could create a global dashboard where everybody pitches ideas and any other organizer could look at the dashboard and take ideas from there.

Last, Trello is my suggestion. There are some other software that does the same, in case you are familiar with these tools. For instance, Asana, Airtable, Kanban tool, etc.

Kf

2 Likes

@kfrajer, sounds good. Maybe once we get the ball rolling though. I believe it would be nice to meet first. Are you in Chicago?

@aljabear Unfortunately I am not in Chicago. Just thought in tossing my idea out there in case it gets some traction. Maybe I should have placed it in PCD worldwide :rofl:

Kf

1 Like

Hi folks, yes, I could do a future Sunday. The best upcoming days for me are September 23rd, 30th, and then October 21. October 7 is also possible if later in the day. Excited to meet everyone!

1 Like

OK. How about at Tiffany and my house at 1pm on Sunday, September 23?

I will PM folks with directions. We’re near the Orange Line in McKinley Park.

Does anyone have any dietary restrictions? I could get some sandwiches or something. (I know Jon is a vegetarian.)

Sure! I can do this Sunday.
@jonchambers I can pick you up if you want.

1 Like

@cleogirl2525 @aljabear yeah that sounds good!!

OK, to confirm then: 1pm on Sunday at @funkstart and my house. I PMed @cleogirl2525 and @kjhollen with the address. I’ll also email Sarah Ritch if she wants to join us.

Thanks!

awesome, see you then!

Hi everybody. So, in summary:

We met over the weekend at Tiffany’s and my house.

UIC should be able to host this event. It looks like it will work for either Saturday, January 26 or February 2. I’ve secured a room here at the Library which can hold about 50 people with laptops; we may also use a cool lab in the Art school for breakout/exhibition space (thanks Sarah!). More details soon.

We want to organize a melange of lightning talks, maybe a couple/few longer talks or workshops, and maybe an exhibition or two.

Please weigh in on which date is best, and whether you have any visions for how to market this, or to solicit submissions/talks/exhibitions.

2 Likes

Anybody have any opinions? What are our next steps?

Thank you for securing the space! I have a slight preference for February 2 but either date can work for me. I still need to check in with my colleagues about who might want to participate and what we can contribute from here. More soon.

OK, sounds good. Should we put a deadline on this? I’d like to confirm a date so I can definitively reserve the space.

Yes, I think that’s fine. I’ll be talking to other design faculty at DePaul about the event when we next meet as a group (first week in November) but think it’s ok to secure a date before then, too!

hi all chiming in to follow. i can help with the event. be nice to reconnect with some of the people on the thread.

2 Likes

Hi @jesparriswestbrook , glad you can join us!

@kjhollen, yeah I think we should settle on a date before then, hopefully this week.

@jonchambers, @funkstart, @cleogirl2525 is February 2 OK? Going once, going twice. It’s Groundhog Day, btw.; if we have nothing else to project on the Sarah’s wall, at least we can show the movie.

Yeah, feb 2 should be fine

@jesparriswestbrook yes, it will be great to see you again!

And yeah, everyone, Feb 2nd should work out great. Maybe we can all work Bill Murray into our workshops somehow :wink:

2 Likes

So, time is a-passing… It seems like this project isn’t getting a whole lot of engagement. Which is OK: people are busy. I just don’t want to pull teeth.

Should we scale back our ideas a bit? Perhaps this should be a smaller affair? I can cancel the reservation for the big conference room here at the UIC Library if necessary. We could just make this a more casual kind of jam session at Sarah Ritch’s space; I bet she’d be down with that.

Otherwise, if we want a bigger “conference” type thing, we need to collect some ideas into a timeline, and divide up the work: start designing sessions and recruiting some artists. Does anybody want to volunteer for any part of this? What are our next steps?

@jesparriswestbrook, @kjhollen, @funkstart, @cleogirl2525, @jonchambers