Processing Community Day @ Chicago

Hi folks, I intend to start spreading the word in earnest this week.

Unless people think otherwise, I intend to aim for a diverse audience, but mostly programming rookies: I will not assume any prior experience. My professional network is largely library staff and faculty; I’ll ask them to pass the word on to their students, so this may mean undergraduates. I will need your help to reach anybody younger.

Following is my first draft, somewhat cribbed from other PCD events on this forum (thanks guys). If you have any edits to make, please let me know; I will otherwise start sending this to people probably on Wednesday.

And please feel free to use this text yourselves if you want.

Are you creative? Do you want to program computers, but don’t know how to begin? Join us for the first (annual?) Processing Community Day @ Chicago, held at UIC on Saturday, February 2, 2019.

This will be a full day of hands-on workshops and talks designed to get you started, using Processing and P5.js. It is part of a diverse, global community, with many cities and regions planning a PCD in early 2019.

Processing uses the context of visual art and imagery to make learning to code open and accessible to anyone and everyone. In hosting PCD @ Chicago, our goal is to create a welcoming, inspiring space for those new to coding, as well as a place for artists, designers, researchers, and makers within our local communities to come together to connect and share their experiences.

All ages and skill levels are welcome. No prior coding experience is necessary. It’s best if you can bring your own laptop computer to use, but if this is a problem, please get in touch with us (via the forum link below).

For (free) tickets, please visit our EventBrite page.

For more information, or to join in the discussion, visit the Processing forum.

See you soon!

@sarahjritch, @jesparriswestbrook, @kjhollen, @funkstart, @cleogirl2525, @jonchambers

1 Like