How do you display motion/coded art at home?

Does anyone display generative/coded/motion artwork (yours or other peoples) at home?

I always find it such a shame that motion artwork is often printed as a snapshot, instead of being displayed in its native format with its natural movement, but then I end up just looking at it on my laptop/phone instead of displaying it like other types of art (mounted photos etc) so it never gets the big screen art experience.

Anyone else have this issue?

Hi Vane,

You can always play your sketches on a Rasberry PI connected to a screen that you can fix to the wall.

2 Likes

but any smart TV browser should play p5.js

1 Like

Thanks jb4x, that’s a good idea.

Thanks kll also, good point. Do you use your own TV to display works?

Thinking around the subject, I was wondering if some of the shorter loops were suited to wall display, which tends to be left up there for longer than a few minutes. Do you know of any people/groups who are focused on creating for a wider display format, including longer timescales for viewing?

For small screen, at this point a cheap Android tablet computer costs less than a nice wooden picture frame – and this is common to do in gallery installations. The real cost compared to canvas or wood is in electricity plus the fact that it will certainly need to be replaced after 2-5 years use. So right now you could get a Huawei MediaPad or an RCA Voyager for ~$40, run the p5.js through any kiosk mode web app, and wall mount it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cheap+android+tablet

If you are going the projection route then you probably need a screen or surface and suitable interior lighting conditions, but LED-based mini projectors are also ~$40-50 at the low end.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cheap+mini+projector

Once you factor in cables and cable covers, kiosk covers to make the devices more appealing etc. it can be a bit more involved, but it is still comparable to a trip to the framing shop – and probably cheaper, if a bit more fiddly.

Among digital arts MFA students who have had gallery shows in the past year there are generally always people who have struggled through building the very latest and greatest shopping list for small to medium screen computer art installs. When you get into the big screen / tile display / wall stuff then that is more often owned by the site.

Oh, and if you want low power and don’t mind grayscale with low frame rate, then keep an eye on epaper displays, which create a lot of interesting possibilities. A few years ago disassembled or hacked Amazon Kindles were the cheapest way to get a nice piece of epaper display at a subsidized cost, but that may have changed since I last looked…

3 Likes

Thanks Jeremy

The epaper is a great point, and presumably soon the coloured version will be easily available, which could be quite a game changer.