GSOC in p5.js web editor

Hey! Myself Ankur Ingale, an undergrad student from Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati.
I am really interested in the p5.js web editor project,
search in the list of sketches.
I wanted to know, if I have to search in the User’s sketch list or in general. Because, a general search would be useful as well.

Currently if you create an account on the web editor and log in, you will find the My Account > My Sketches view.

It looks like this URL is public even if you aren’t logged in – so there is currently no difference between a “public” and “private” sketch, if you know the URL. If there was going to be a general sketch search, it might need to give users control over what would show up in search results – and so need some concept of publishing / public sketches. You could look at things like Scratch, Codepen, etc. to get ideas.

1 Like

@jeremydouglass I planned on working a search in the user’s sketch list as well as a general search where we can search with parameters as the author, sketch name, collection name etc. Exactly the way Codepen works. What are your views on it?

Personally I like that idea. One of the main sites that people on the forum use right now is OpenProcessing.org, another is ProcessingTogether.com – you might also want to ask forum users who frequently use the public share features of those sites (or have big portfolios on them) for feedback. on your plan

2 Likes

But at the same time, I need the public/private feature for users to give control on their sketches. I wonder I can do both of them within such a short time. @jeremydouglass?
PS.: I will be applying for GSoC.

Good question. I’m not actually sure – I would say, ask the current developers of the p5.js web editor

1 Like

@cassie I feel the time is less for implementing both.

yep, i agree, i don’t think there’s enough time in GSoC to do both!