I have been using Processing 3.5.4 for a while but yesterday I decided to download Processing 4.1.1.
I found a couple of bugs that are mostly just really annoying. I have read around online but have not found them mentioned (or solved) anywhere.
I found the following bugs/issues:
- There are no modes in the modes list.
- Most values in the settings don’t get saved when changed. (eg: Sketchbook folder and Sketch name) But some do (like Disable HiDPI Scaling and Language)
- Some times (but not always) after closing the settings, the File menu becomes un-clickable until the size of the window is changed
I have made a video demonstrating all of these issues, you can see it here
Steps I have taken:
- I first moved the folder containing processing to a new location with less restrictions
- Next I moved the folder to the desktop, just in case
- I deleted the folder and all settings and other stored files, re-downloaded 4.1.1 and extracted it on to the desktop
- I downloaded 4.1.0 and 4.0 and tried both of them
- All of these I added to the Microsoft Defender exclusions list
- I turned off Microsoft Defender and all real time protection
- I ran 4.1.1 in administrator mode
- I ran 4.1.1 in compatibility mode
- I ran
.\\processing.exe --l4j-debug. I attached the resulting log file below
Version: 3.14 CmdLine: C:\Users\radic\Desktop\processing-4.1.1\processing.exe --l4j-debug WOW64: yes Working dir: C:\Users\radic\Desktop\processing-4.1.1\. Java min ver: 1.017.000_001 Java max ver: Bundled JRE(s): java Check launcher: C:\Users\radic\Desktop\processing-4.1.1\java\bin\javaw.exe (OK) Heap -Xmx: Requested 512 MB / 0%, Available: 985 MB, Heap size: 512 MB Main class: processing.app.ui.Splash Add classpath: core\library\core.jar Add classpath: lib\pde.jar Add classpath: lib\jna.jar Add classpath: lib\jna-platform.jar Add classpath: lib\ant.jar Add classpath: lib\ant-launcher.jar Add classpath: lib\flatlaf.jar Launcher: C:\Users\radic\Desktop\processing-4.1.1\java\bin\javaw.exe Launcher args: -Xmx512m -Djna.nosys=true -Djna.boot.library.path=lib -Djna.nounpack=true -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dsun.java2d.ddoffscreen=false -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Dpython.console.encoding=UTF-8 -classpath "lib;core\library\core.jar;lib\pde.jar;lib\jna.jar;lib\jna-platform.jar;lib\ant.jar;lib\ant-launcher.jar;lib\flatlaf.jar" processing.app.ui.Splash Args length: 343/32768 chars Exit code: 0
Processing 4.1.1 on
Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 Build:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-10300H CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.50 GHz
As I was writing this, I found a weird solution/workaround, that may help identify the issue.
As you can see on the video, if I change a setting, save it, exit Processing and than start Processing again, the setting will not be saved.
However, if I change a setting, save it and than instantly open a second instance of Processing, that instance will use the new value for the setting, and it will work like that from that point onward.
This though still doesn’t solve the issue with the modes.
I’ll happily provide any additional information that helps!
I found a workaround for the modes as well.
I downloaded 3.5.4 again, and downloaded python mode on that one. As soon as I opened 4.1.1 again, I found that python mode was now available there as well.
This may help a little until this issue is solved.