Answer Button For Posts

Hey There!

It amazing ! Thank you this will be a life saver !

This looks great! so far it seems simple and straightforward – easy to understand and use. I’ll try it on the question side sometime soon to see the UI.

One little wrinkle is that the initial post cannot be marked as a solution, so it doesn’t allow self-answers, like this:

But overall it seems to be working well.

We might want to consider enabling the “Show a dropdown to filter a topic list” setting – currently the Advanced Search has no field for solved / unsolved.

3 Likes

To bootstrap people marking things as “Solution”, I’ve done a few quick sprints through threads where people say explicit things like “That solved my problem” or “thanks for the solution” in response to a specific post, and marked all those posts as Solution. That should start to make answerers searching for things with solutions (or not) a bit more meaningful, make it easier for readers to browse marked solutions on longer threads, and encourage questioners to mark answers.

If you have questions, consider revisiting them and marking solutions if you got them! The point of a solution is not credit but to marks the suggestion or summary that would be most helpful for someone else – so if you received help but ultimate posted your own solution walkthrough, do mark your own answer.

5 Likes

I’m doing another quick sprint looking for phrases like “that worked!” and marking old solutions that were acknowledge by the posters, but didn’t mark the Solution button (often because it wasn’t yet available).

Some threads have “that solved it!” or “that worked” but intentionally aren’t marked with a Solution. Many of our project threads evolve through a series of questions – which we encourage! – but this means they can’t really have a solution, as they contain multiple questions and multiple solutions.

2 Likes