SPANISH INTERNATIONALIZATION PROPOSAL GSoC 2020

Hi everyone,
I wanted to know if a proposal to further continue the Spanish translation efforts of the p5.js website would be a good project for GSoC 2020. I have seen that there is still a lot of work to be done to translate parts of the website, such as many examples, part of the reference, and a large portion of the wiki/learn sections. Also, there are some issues with the translation engine that could be addressed. I have already contributed some translations to the website.
I have already submitted a draft in the GSoC 2020 website and you can access it here:

I would love to hear your comments and if this would be a good project for GSoC 2020. I have seen that you are interested in having the existing translations finished, and it is something to which I can continue contributing outside of GSoC 2020, as I am very interested in the p5.js project.
@montoyamoraga @saberkhan

2 Likes

hi @alarcocs!
thank you for sharing your proposal, my guess is that what we need more is help in general things, such as refining the workflow of the translations, and adding documentation for doing them, lowering the barrier for the community to help.

For example, the project Scratch uses Transifex to crowdsource their translations, and i think it works great as a tool not only for translating, but for keeping track of what translations have ben completed and are missing.

also something that people in the community have asked us is to have a downloadable version of the documentation. as far as i know, right now if you download it, it is only the English version.

anyway, those are my thoughts :slight_smile: i hope that helps you for your application, and i hope you get it, and thank you for helping out with the i18n of p5.js, i am sure that the more we work on this project, the more people will be happy artists and coders using p5.js

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @montoyamoraga! Yeah, I also think that the documentation for the translation workflow could be improved, eg. adding examples on how to add new translations. I have also noticed that there’s only the English version of the reference. Do you know if this is auto-generated? It’s something we could definitely work on.
Thanks so much for the feedback! I really hope that my application gets accepted so that we can improve the Spanish translation. As you said, the more people can get access to this amazing project, the better.

1 Like

@alarcocs the online reference is available in Spanish, when there is a corresponding Spanish translation. For every article on the reference, by default the English version is loaded, and if there is an available translation, it is replaced with JavaScript. What happens with the offline downloadable is that it is static, and there is no translation yet.
As far as I know, there is no auto-generation, when I worked on the first version of the translation, we did everything by hand, article by article.

Hey!

Couldn’t this be used to get the location of the user and show the website on their idiom, through the IP?
Also, what do you think about updating the website and use tools like this one? I would love also to contribute through GSoC 2020 to the Portuguese language, and using this it would be easier to do.

Greetings,
Carlos Abreu

1 Like