Introduction and project proposal

Hi, I am Ayush Jain from India. I have contributed to a lot of open source projects and I want to contribute to the processing foundation during gsoc. I want to propose a project for translation of p5.js to Hindi which is a much required project for people who speak Hindi. I would like to connect with a suitable mentor for the same. Thank you.

4 Likes

Hey @ayushj great to see you are interested in Gsoc under processing foundation your idea will definitely give processing boost in India but this summer I have a plan to make translation engine which not only make translation work fast but also make the it less error prone are you interested in working on translation engine? @saberkhan will guide you how to introduce yourself to the processing community if not done

3 Likes

Thanks @shaharyar. Looking forward to connect with @saberkhan and the community.

2 Likes

Hi @shaharyar and @saberkhan. I was looking at the processing’s projects from last few years and read a few medium articles. I would like to start with building the translation engine as Shahryar suggested and would like to know more about the details. I am simultaneously working on the gsoc proposal and would like to receive your suggestions and improvements to the project. Please let me know how should I proceed with the translation. Thanks.

1 Like

Hey @ayushj it is great you are interested in processing foundation . First of let me tell you this Gsoc I am planning to make translation engine which basically help in translation of website automatically for more details you can have a look on this
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/shaharyarshamshi_shaharyar-shamshi-overview-activity-6609863230078717953-ap7Q

Do you have any idea how translation work in website or i18n?

2 Likes

Thanks @shaharyar for your reply. I read how the translation works in p5.js website and checked the code for better understanding. I have also gone through your post on LinkedIn and found that helpful but while researching I found out that google translation service is paid so would it be in our favour to use paid service? I am also willing to contribute further to get better understanding of how the current implementation for multilingual website work. So I will send a pull request for Hindi translation in upcoming days.

1 Like

@ayushj few of the translation api are free and use google translation api as a base so there would not be any issue in using them and also it’s good idea to contribute you could get better idea how we implement multilingual website currently and help you in making translation engine so if you wish to contribute to hindi language there is a branch with name hindi translation you can use them looking forward to see your pull request

1 Like

Okay @shaharyar that’s great. I will start working on the project right away. Also I will start working on my proposal and get reviews and suggestions from you and @saberkhan. I will share the draft proposal soon. Thanks.

1 Like

Great create the pull request it will help you in understanding current work flow and also help while you are making translation engine

1 Like

Hi @shaharyar and @saberkhan. I have created my first pull request on Hindi translation in which I have added a few translations of the references and placed them in hi.json file. I would like to add more translations if you approve of the ones I have added. Please check out my PR at https://github.com/processing/p5.js-website/pull/561.
Please let me know if I am headed in the right direction. Thank you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@ayushj this is great you are heading in right direction even your pull request is being merged

1 Like

Thanks @shaharyar @saberkhan for the guidance and for merging my PR. I look forward to offer more contributions to the organization in upcoming days. Meanwhile I wanted to know if I can start my work on the proposal for gsoc?

1 Like

@ayushj you can start working on the proposal
Meanwhile go through this https://github.com/processing/p5.js-website/blob/master/contributor_docs/i18n_contribution.md#translation-of-reference

2 Likes

@limzykenneth @lmccart @shaharyar @saberkhan Thanks for merging my pull request. I want to convert all the references to Hindi but I cannot find the references in one place. Where can I find all English references json file(something like en.json)? Does any such file exists? I have started working on translation script, all I need is the references file.

2 Likes

@ayushj you can make one master file for reference by iterating over each element of es.json and storing english translation of value mapped with key
Is it clear or I should explain more ?
@lmccart @limzykenneth your suggestions?

2 Likes

@shaharyar Yeah I understand. Thanks for the suggestion. I will start working on it right away.

1 Like

Hi @ayushj – very glad to see you working on this important proposal. Just a note – some of the core p5.js and processing devs on github are very seldom on the forum – so if you are interacting with them on github around an issue, pull request, or review, that may sometimes be a good place to ask follow-up questions or make contact.

2 Likes

@jeremydouglass Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely keep this in mind and continue working on GitHub.

1 Like

@jeremydouglass @saberkhan @lmccart @shaharyar Dear mentors, as I am working on the processing proposal for gsoc, I want to ask if there is a particular format for the processing proposal. I want to make my proposal as informative as possible. Also would it be possible to access a few proposals selected in past gsoc. Your suggestions would be really helpful.

2 Likes

Hi @ayushj we don’t have any specific format we recommend. I would take a look at this format from GSoC - https://google.github.io/gsocguides/student/proposal-example-1

3 Likes