Serial Routine Crashing with Latest Java jre-8u261

After updating Java to the latest version jre8u261 a couple of my Processing apps now crash when I try to open a Serial (COM) port. They worked fine with jre8u251 that I had installed.

The apps run ok in the Processing IDE but the exported versions crash. I did find that if I export with the ‘Embed Java for Windows (64-bit)’ option checked then they do work.

I will try to upload a simple sketch to illustrate this but has anyone else seen this or a similar issue? I am using the G4P library and the crash occurs when I select the required COM port from a G4P droplist.

I can post the Java error log file if that would help?

Thanks, Phil.

1 Like

Hello,

It is my experience that Java updates can “break” things and not just in Processing.

“Embedding Java… will be far more likely to work”:

It embeds the same version that the Processing IDE uses.

:)

1 Like

Thanks for the info glv - I wasn’t sure which Java Processing was embedding but testing it showed it works! Do the apps exported with the Java embedded also work on Windows 32-bit OS?

Phil.

I have the 32 and 64 bit versions of Processing installed and export from these to have both versions.

It does clearly state what target platform you are exporting to in the window.

I have not done this in a while but did come across this issue at one time.

I did find this:

https://processing.org/reference/environment/#Export

Following the links it states:

We strongly recommended that you embed Java with your application. Not including it opens a pandora’s box of problems that can happen when people try to run your project.

2 Likes

I never thought of having both version of Processing installed - that could be the problem solved!

Thanks again.

1 Like

Hello,

Additional information below if you want to venture down the rabbit hole… I will be generating some builds in the future and a good reference.

I have not “built” Processing from source for a while…

There is a reference to what it is using:

And older versions of Java here:
https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/other_jreversions.xml

Note:
I needed these when using Processing in Eclipse; I had to add the java components from Processing and the JDK.

Another reference:

Wow! Big rabbit hole :crazy_face:

I like the comment about Oracle in line 80 :joy:

Phil.

1 Like

I also use Processing 4:

Processing 4 is Pre-Release and not a Stable Release.

And latest builds:

Many thanks again glv. I now have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Processing installed and can export my apps with either, one embeds a 32-bit Java and the other a 64-bit Java.

It’s worth the extra download size of embedding the Java to make sure all my users can get the apps to work on their systems.

Phil

2 Likes

Here is the link to building Processing:

It also states:

Other versions of Java are not supported. It must be 8u202. Later versions of Java (9, 10, 13, whatever) don’t work either.

2 Likes

Update…

One of the links in this topic no longer works:

An updated link:
Environment / Processing.org Export is in the table of contents!

Which will direct you to the Wiki: