Research Study on Version Control Tool for Processing

Hi! My name is Eric Rawn – I’m a PhD Student in Computer Science at UC Berkeley. I, along with my collaborators, have been building a version control tool for Processing designed for the exploratory and improvisational creative process. The simplest way to describe it is a version control tool inside of a canvas editor, but you can check it out yourself on our github page.

We’re looking for experienced Processing users to use our tool for 2-4 weeks in their everyday creative coding practice. With periodic check-ins for you to give us feedback and to discuss your experience, you’ll just use the version control tool whenever it feels helpful in your normal creative coding practice. You’ll be compensated for your interview time at a rate of $40/hour, so you should expect to be compensated between $80-$120 if you participate through the entire study.

By studying real artists using our tool in their everyday creative practice, we hope to learn something about how to make version control tools better support creative practitioners while also preparing this tool for free and open-source release as a Processing Tool.

To let us know you’re interested, if you want more information, or if you have any questions or concerns, please go to this interest form below:

Thanks so much! If you have any questions but don’t want to fill out the interest form, you can also contact me at erawn@berkeley.edu

4 Likes

Wow that tool looks very interesting and I will definitely give it a try!