Looking for research resources

I’m reaching out to the community in hopes of finding research materials on custom tools for educators to teach programming for the arts.

I’m specifically interested in custom tools, interactive modules, academic papers, curriculum, and reading material that is focused on helping educators teach code to university art students. Although my focus is university level, I welcome resources geared for all levels of learning.

Looking for both historical and theoretical sources and case studies. I am mostly interested in open-source software toolkits for the arts, but am also interested in closed-source as well.

ty

3 Likes

This is basically a dump of my browser bookmarks. It’s not even all of it … :blush:. I’m happy to chat more if you like.

There are many books on Processing (Java, JS, and Python variants) that include practical and theoretical content –

• 10 PRINT – Nick Montfort, et al.
  • Algorithms for Visual Design – Kostas Terzidis
  • The Art of Coding – Mohammad Majid al-Rifaie
  • Coding Art – Yu Zhang & Mathias Funk
  • Creating Procedural Artworks with Processing – Penny de Byl
  • Form + Code – Casey Reas, et al.
  • Generative Design – Benedikt Groß, et al.
  • Generative Art – Matt Pearson
  • Getting Started with p5.js – Lauren McCarthy, et al.
  • Getting Started with Processing – Casey Reas & Ben Fry
  • Getting Started with Processing.py – Allison Parrish
  • Learn Python Visually: Creative Coding with Processing.py – Tristan Bunn
  • Learning Processing – Daniel Shiffman
  • Libre Graphics magazine, volumes 1.1 – 2.4
  • The Nature of Code – Daniel Shiffman
  • Processing 2: Creative Coding – Nikolaus Gradwohl
  • Processing 2: Creative Programming Cookbook – Jan Vantomme
  • Processing: A Programming Handbook for Visual Designers – Casey Reas & Ben Fry
  • Processing: An Introduction to Programming – Jeffrey & Larry Nyhoff
  • Processing: Creative Coding and Generative Art in Processing – Ira Greenburg, et al.
  • Processing for Visual Artists – Andre Glassner
  • Programming Media Art Using Processing – Margaret Noble
  • Sparkfun Guide to Processing – Derek Runberg

Many of the books published by Friends of Ed on ActionScript/Flash cover content transferable to Processing and other creative coding environments.

For developing curricula, you can include topics like DataViz, interaction design, video games, procedural generation, simulation, tiling, genetic algorithms, machine learning, and more. There is plenty of literature covering those domains. You can look at these courses for inspiration:

Regarding tools, libraries, and software, you might look at:

If you’re interested in visual/node-based environments, you can investigate –

I’m a big fan of Python for creative coding. You can refer to Villares’ resources for teaching programming, as well as these links –

As I said, there’s more where that came from. If there’s anything more specific that I can provide, let me know.

4 Likes

Thank you … great list. I’m aware of a good chunk of these, some are new to me so I’ll dive into those. My issue is that most resources are more specific to the artist/student perspective and not specific to enabling the educator to demonstrate/visualize the concepts easier and improve workflow.

Can you think of any resources similar to Ken Perlin and Karl Rosenbergs ChalkTalk.

1 Like

Thanks @tabreturn for the list!
(and I’m humbled to be mentioned among such illustrious sources!)

My master’s degree was about researching the themes used for teaching programming in a visual context (I’ve probed some introductory books, built a controlled vocabulary and tried to apply it to all examples from the Processing IDE, Python mode). Unfortunatly the dissertation is in Portuguese…

A taxonomy of themes for teaching programming in a visual context

I’m a bit stuck on my PhD studies but I’ve been reading this:
The Cambridge Handbook of Computing Education Research

I’ll be glad to chat about this…

3 Likes

I think your question is a bit broad.

In fact the whole processing project is the or an answer to your question

• The Website with tutorials and Examples
  • the IDE with Examples
  • the literature and books such as Nature of Code (see website|books)

What more can you ask for?

1 Like

Yes, broad on purpose. I want to be able to reference so much more, historically and theoretically, than just Processing Foundation. It’s a major resource, but for my thesis I need to broaden the scope.

1 Like

Perhaps you could reach out to this group for some direction: https://www.emrg.be/

1 Like

Reach out to this guy:

1 Like

Hello @slow_izzm

In case you missed it, this article that recently ran in NYTimes about the algorithmic typeface project by Erik and Martin Demaine is fascinating. May be of some relevance, or at the very least share-worthy with students?

Also, this podcast THE WEEKLY TYPOGRAPHIC by the League of Moveable Type is an interesting intersection of type-related design and coding. I’ve been a practicing designer for years and always learn something from each new episode.
Link below for full scope of their mission:

Hopefully these are of interest!
:nerd_face:

1 Like