Reference and Help Tabs greyed out

Hi there,

I’m new to Processing, and computer stuff in general. I have the most recent version of Processing, I have all my processing sketch files and the application file stored in the same folder on my mac. When I first downloaded processing I had absolutely no issues with it. Now I have issues with the help and reference links.

Suppose there’s an error in my code, the bottom console will tell me that I have an error, and it will be underlined. I used to be able to right click on the line in question, and click “Find in Reference”, that or click “Help” and get some guidance there. For whatever reason, about a week after I downloaded Processing 3, both of these features are suddenly no longer available.

Help, please?

Kind regards,
Livi

Did you try to replace it with a new install? To make sure that none of the program components are missing I suggest to download it again.

Thank you!

I tried that… still didn’t make any difference :frowning: thanks though!

What types of words do you underline when you use “Find in Reference”?
Note that only words in the reference are searchable. If you search for complete lines of code or variable manes, comments and so forth the processing ide will tell you that "no reference is available for “underlined word”. Only classes, methods and keyword part of the processing reference are searchable.

Well then! It seems like there is no problem at all! Thanks for your insight and help Mat :slight_smile:

glad I could help :wink:

bahaha maybe I spoke too soon (or maybe I just still have no idea what I’m doing…)

So I have this code for a silly little homework problem:

// 6/28/18 For Loop Practice
// Use one for loop and variables to create a red box, with 7 squares on top

size(300, 300);

int xPosition;
int i=1;

xPosition = width/16;

fill(255, 0, 0);
noStroke();
rect(width/16, height/8, 7width/8, 7height/8);

for (i=2; i<=15; i++) {
fill(255,255,255);
stroke(2);
rectMode(CORNER);
rect(xPosition, 0, width/8, height/8);
}

In the processing window, the double click “find in reference” option does not seem to be available for the “for” loop, width, and height. Is that normal?

Also I’m aware that something is wrong with my for loop, I’m still figuring out iterations and such :slight_smile: thank you again for your thoughts

@Livi Try putting a * between the 7 and width.

size(300, 300);

int xPosition;
int i=1;

xPosition = width/16;

fill(255, 0, 0);
noStroke();
rect(width/16, height/8, 7*width/8, 7*height/8);

for (i=2; i<=15; i++) {
fill(255,255,255);
stroke(2);
rectMode(CORNER);
rect(xPosition, 0, width/8, height/8);
}

And if you need any help on general coding see this:https://discourse.processing.org/t/some-guidance-for-beginners/115?u=madscientist

Something does appear to be a bit buggy here. I’ll investigate.

In the meantime, it’s probably a good idea to get into the habit of looking stuff up in the reference manually. Also note that google is your friend.

I’ve filed a bug about this here:

1 Like

Hey! Found the error in keywords.txt and references.zip. Have given a PR: 5642.

1 Like