Platforms to run Processing

I cannot use the processing application on any computer. I have a laptop running Windows 10 Java jre8u241 or Java 8u25 (switchable) and a PC running Windows XP Java 6.
They can load processing, but when I try to use a program (eg. SphericalGeneration3D_texture) it tells me that there is an OpenGL_Issue. Having searched via Google I am told running Java 8u25 should solve it, but it doesn’t - always the same error message, regardless of machine or platform.
Is there any advice please?

1 Like

First of all, welcome to the community.
Second, on the Processing website under “Supported Platforms” stands here the following:

Windows 7 and later is supported. No XP, no Vista.

Third, Processing doesn’t matter what Java you have installed. It even runs without any Java installed, because it comes bundled alongside a Java Runtime Environment. Have you extracted the downloaded .zip into your Documents or your Programs folder, everything should work. Else explain how the error looks like, is there a popup or an error in the console? Stand there additional informations?
Fourth, why do you put the thematic in p5.js, when the application is the problem?

2 Likes

Thank you for the welcome.
The PC has crashed and I’m in the process of recovering it.
The zip file you mention is the processing.xxxxx.zip I assume, and I downloaded and unzipped it to its default (Downloads) location, and have run it from that location. I can transfer it to either Documents or Program Files folder; is that what you suggest? Don’t forget I am running Windows 10. Will I need to get a Windows 7 machine to run the program?
I put the thematic where I did because it is a new topic and I didn’t know where to put it. Where do you suggest?
Regards

Hello!

In the meantime while working out the download issues, as a workaround, you could always use the online platform – requiring NO download – at https://www.openprocessing.org

There is a free option ~ or ~ yearly subscription option.

1 Like

I’d suggest to put it into your Documents folder. I have Windows 10, too, and Windows 7 shouldn’t be used because it is not receiving updates any more. If your PC is unstable, there could be many sources that could cause problems. Even this is then actually not the right forum about it, here are some tips:

1. Ensure Windows Update is enabled and you have the latest updates installed.
  2. Run in Windows-Security a Full and a Fast scan.
  3. Type “Event log” in the search bar and click on the first entrance, then look at the errors and critical problems.
  4. Open the Task-Manager, click Autostart, and disable anything unneccesary.
  5. Search in the search bar for “cmd” and execute it as an admin, and run sfc /scannow.
  6. If this all does not help, reinstall Windows.

What, specifically, is the error message on your Windows10 machine?

Is this a problem with any processing sketch – like hello world, or simple 2D drawing – or is it only a problem with 3D rendering sketches that use size(x, y, P3D) like SphericalGeneration3D_texture?

Thank you for your reply Jeremy and apologies for not replying sooner but I have been ill. Better now.

I am purely trying to reproduce the Spherical Geometry and texture3D effects; ultimately I would like to be able to apply my own maps together with height information.

However the error I get is Framebuffer objects are not supported by this hardware or driver. Read http://wiki.processing.org/w/OpenGL_Issues for help.

I found processing on github.com but couldn’t find a solution.

Errors found :-

java.lang.Exception

and multiple errors at Recent.java, Base.java, etc, etc

and

java.security.ProtectionDomainsJavaSecurityAccessImpl

errors at EventQueue, EventDispatchThread

My Windows 10 laptop is not available at the moment so I’m trying it on Windows XP. It should be back by the end of the week or early next week.

I haven’t tried it with the simple sketches because I don’t kniw where they are. Is there a listing of where all available sketches are?

Regards
Peter Turner

1 Like

Hi Peter,

Open Processing PDE and go to the Examples menu, and select a basic 2D example – for example, something that draws a circle or lines. You can also cut-paste simple examples from the online reference at processing.org/reference – the entry for line() or text() etc.

This is a simple check to see if your problem is 3D-specific or if your entire installation is not working.

I would definitely suggest using your Windows 10 machine when available – I’m not using Windows XP right now, but XP may not be well supported or tested for new Processing releases.

Hi Jeremy

Most of the Examples in Form (except Primitives3D) and Images are OK. It seems to be only when calling the P3D library so is it a hardware, driver or other software issue?

Is there an example to define the cause more exactly?

What will I need to check on the laptop to ensure P3D works OK?

Regards
Peter Turner

Hello Jeremy

I get the same Framebuffer error with P2D in Particles. I thought P2D is the default renderer in the absence of P3D, so why did the other 2D sketches in Form work OK?

Regards
Peter Turner

The default renderer is Java2D. Both P2D and P3D are optional OpenGL renderers. At a guess your OpenGL driver is not capable of the features required to run them.

1 Like

Hi Neil

If it’s a driver issue, what driver do I need, and where can I get it from?

Regards
Peter Turner

How do I know?! :wink: You have all the details to find it (if one even exists) in your hands.

P2D and P3D use OpenGL. OpenGL uses your graphics card hardware with a driver. The driver is specific to your card, which is specific to your computer – you have a Wiindows PC, so that means a lot of potential graphics cards. Looking up the name of the card and updating to the latest driver – through Windows or via a download from the card manufacturer – might be a good start.

Thanks Jeremy. I’ll try tomorrow

Regards
Peter Turner

1 Like

Hi Jeremy

I have checked the display devices on XP and they ate all working OK and no driver updates available. I have tested DirectDraw and Direct3D and they work OK.

I had ordered a Windows 7 laptop which arrived today (I already checked the Windows 10 laptop a few days ago with the same errors as XP) as I had been told over the internet that Processing is specifically designed for Windows 7 (true or false?). I am trying to run SphereGeometry (using P3D) and get a different error

Cannot link program:Fragment shader(s) linked, vertex shader(s) failed to link.

Any suggestions?

Regards
Peter Turner

Hi Peter,

I’m assuming that this is on Processing 3.5.3?

To confirm: basic 2D (not P2D) examples are working for you, and other P3D examples are not. Is that right?

Can anyone with a Win7 PC try running the SphereGeometry extension and confirm that it is working for them? I don’t have any version of Windows right now, so I can’t provide direct advice for problems on Windows.

Yes that’s correct Jeremy. Basic and 2D sketches work OK on Windows XP and 7 while sketches calling P2D P3D do not work, giving the error codes I listed before (different error codes for WinXP vs Win7).

Regards
Peter Turner

Hi Jeremy

Apologies for contacting you again but there seems to be no-one else out there to reply.

If you don’t use Windows for running Processing, which operating system do you use?

I thought it was specifically designed for Windows.

Regards
Peter Turner

Hi Peter,

I primarily run Processing on Mac. Processing is available for Mac, Windows, Linux, and Raspberry Pi – you can see some of the downloads on the official downloads page:

https://processing.org/download/

My impression – just an impression – is that as of today Processing currently runs best on MacOS 10.12–10.14 or Windows 7-10. We’ve seen some new problems with MacOS 10.15, particularly with cameras and video. My main machine is currently 10.12, but I also use it on 10.14.

However we have lots of Windows users around the world. Many thousands at least at any given time, including students. To the best of my knowledge they aren’t all having the problem that you are with 3D OpenGL.