Need help with really old code

Hello,
I need to transition code in Processing 1.5.1 running on Solaris to a current version running on Linux. I am new to Processing but I have years of programming experience in other languages. At the moment I am trying to figure out the files in the “applets” subdirectories. I can’t load them because my browser doesn’t support a Java plugin. Is there anyone out there who can point me in the right direction? I imagine there are old documents for how to transition off of the applets that came out when Processing deprecated applets but I am not able to find such documents. (I am still looking.) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Peace,
Lois

Lois Bennett, MSEE
Senior System Administrator
Channing Division of Network Medicine, Brigham & Women’s Hospital
A Teaching Affiliate of Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Public Health

2 Likes

I don’t fully understand.

Do you have the source code?
Then why bother with the files in the “applets” subdirectories in the first place?

When you run Processing (IDE / exe-file) why do you need the browser?

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply. This code is part of an automated web system that produces graphics of the analysis of our systems performance. The code does work in the IDE but I need to understand how it will work without user intervention. Actually some of the code works in the IDE but there are part that have errors.

1 Like

I don’t know

Chrisir

1 Like

Thank you, anyway. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Welcome! Any chance you’d be willing to share the source code, perhaps under a NDA, so that I can tinker a bit? Happy to spin up a Linux VM that mirrors your own setup.

I once helped an artist connect some old FORTRAN code to Processing and find this sort of archeological/update work fascinating.

2 Likes