Mojave opengl depreciated!

Hello, I just upgraded from 10.14.3 to 10.14.4 and opengl doesn’t work any more, in fact Mojave doesn’t support OpenGL any more !!! Is there some sort of workaround to make P3D work with Metal ? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have a whole lot of projects that depend on it.

Corporates are buggers, and don’t deserve your custom, may’be linux has a future on the desktop after all. PS: I would very surprised if your current problems are anything to do with the deprecation of OPENGL.

I think you may be right. i narrowed it down to JFrame.pack and JFrame.setVisible(true). Now I get this error

java.lang.RuntimeException: Waited 5000ms for: <6146dc4f, 6f812e17>[count 2, qsz 0, owner <main-FPSAWTAnimator#00-Timer0>] - <main-FPSAWTAnimator#00-Timer0-FPSAWTAnimator#00-Timer1>

at processing.opengl.PSurfaceJOGL$2.run(PSurfaceJOGL.java:410)

Can’t figure out why moving to 10.14.4 would change that which worked fine before. Any ideas ?

I believe this might be relevant:

OpenGL – some apps open with black windows, or may hang

Several developers and others using apps which still rely on OpenGL have reported that their apps open with black windows, and some even freeze. This may be resolved by building them with Xcode 9.4.1 rather than 10, and there is further discussion here.

from Known bugs in macOS Mojave 10.14: an incomplete summary – The Eclectic Light Company

Thanks for your message. I figured it out. 10.14.4 made it so that JFrame.pack() and JFrame.setVisible() would timeout and freeze everything. So I managed to create another thread by using this structure -

SwingUtilities.invokeLater(new Runnable() {

public void run() {

— code here ---

}
1 Like

You should only ever touch Swing on the EDT anyway, if you weren’t already - that’s a definite way to get issues! Are you mixing Swing and P3D? That can also be a problem as there’s some curious locking between the two.

thanks for the tip. i seem to have figured it out. haven’t run into any problems. thanks