Errors with P3D on macOS

Hello everybody. I’m getting some error messages whenever I use the P3D renderer. Do you know anything about this? This is what I’m getting:

0   AppKit                           0x00007fff2d476e63 -[NSWindow(NSWindow_Theme) _postWindowNeedsToResetDragMarginsUnlessPostingDisabled] + 378
1   AppKit                           0x00007fff2d474253 -[NSWindow _initContent:styleMask:backing:defer:contentView:] + 1479
2   AppKit                           0x00007fff2d473c86 -[NSWindow initWithContentRect:styleMask:backing:defer:] + 45
3   libnativewindow_macosx.jnilib    0x00000001166ae3fe Java_jogamp_nativewindow_macosx_OSXUtil_CreateNSWindow0 + 398
4   ???                              0x0000000118b20a88 0x0 + 4709288584
1 Like

What is your test code? e.g. does this happen with:

void setup(){
  size(400, 400, P3D);
}

May be related to:

Ah, I see. It might be related indeed, thanks. And yeah, that code is enough to trigger the messages. I’m going to try those suggestions and see what goes.

Has anyone seen a solution to this P3D problem on OSX Mojave 10.14 ?
I’ve read all the threads on github I can find, but there does not appear to be any fix… is that correct?

I’m running OSX 10.14.4 & Java 8 update 211 with Processing 3.5.3, any mention of P3D and the sketch will not run and gives the same appKit errors as posted at top of this thread.

It’s a real pain as I need to deliver an app that uses P3D, on both Windows and OSX.
Was hoping it might have been fixed by now as the bug was first reported in Feb. but it just doesn’t look like it’s going to be possible to work on OSX for some time.

One thing I’d like to know is if this is a just ‘compile’ problem, i.e if you went back to an earlier version of OSX that would run with P3D and export an app, would that exported app then run on Mojave ?

Lots of messages on stackoverflow re opengl on mojave, these might be relevant. Opengl is only supposed to be deprecated since mojave but should? work with legacy. Also you cannot believe Apple older Macs may struggle to support metal, and they want people to upgrade hardware, they treat Mac fans somewhat cynically.

Yes, I should have said I was aware of opengl being depreciated, but as you say it’s supposed to work with legacy.
Other software that uses opengl is still working on Mojave so obviously this is not impossible.

After some further investigation have found the culprit in my sketch that was stopping it launching from the IDE.

I was using JOptionPane - showInputDialog & showMessageDialog to prompt for some user input on start up.

If I use another method(i.e prompt within my UI rather than opening another window) it will still throw the same errrors in the console(weirdly), but does start up and run.

Although, the exported application does not run… possibly may be an unrelated issue in my code, will have to look further.

1 Like