Looking for interviewees for thesis on p5.js

Hello creative coder friends,

I just recently joined the forum, so I might be miscategorizing this post. If so, please let me know and I’ll correct it.

I’m a 3rd-year web development student at Blekinge Institute of Technology, Sweden, working on my bachelor’s thesis at the moment. The subject is creative coding on the web. I will focus on p5.js and compare it with vanilla Javascript as well as other similar tools/libraries for web design and web graphics. The thesis will also investigate how p5.js has been received and used by the creative coding community.

To this end, I’m looking for people to interview for my thesis. I’m hoping to find interviewees with a wide variety of experiences and relationship to p5.js. There should be representatives both from the p5.js development team and general users with experience of several similar frameworks.

If you are interested in participating in a short interview session about your experience or know someone you think might be, please leave a reply or write me a message.

This is the first place I’m posting to about this request, but I might post this on relevant subreddits and Slack channels as well. If you have suggestions for places where I might find interviewees, I would be more than happy to hear them as well.

1 Like

You might be better off posting a link to a survey that people can fill out?

@Kevin, I have considered using surveys as well, and it would be easier both for me and for the people providing information. However, I would prefer the interview format, as that is more open and allows for a more in-depth investigation. I will see if I can get enough interviews, if not I might change to a survey format instead.

A short survey can be a great way to onboard potential interviews. Keep it short, like 2-5 questions, and ask if they would be willing to be contacted for a follow-up interview. The kinds of questions that you ask may also give potential interviewees a better understanding of your goals and confidence that they have something to say.

2 Likes

@jeremydouglass Thanks, that is a really good idea! I’ve not done academic interviews before, so a bit unsure of how to go about it, but a small pre-survey is a good way both for me to get more organized and possible interviewees to get a glimpse of what it is about. I’ll set it up asap and post the link to the survey here.

1 Like

I created a new post about my survey here: Survey on p5.js and creative coding