Is a fresh install of Processing 3.5.4 and Python mode possible? (Mac OS)

I have been using Mac OS Processing Python mode in my computer science classes for many years now. Due to the almost non-existent error checking and various other issues with Processing 4 Python mode, I would really like to stick with Processing 3 Python mode, which is far more robust.

However, when I make a fresh install of Processing 3.5.4 and then attempt to Add Mode… to install Python Mode for Processing 3, I get a red box with the error message “Could not connect with the Processing server.” This behavior has occurred on many different machines, running various versions of Mac OS. So my question is this: Is it no longer possible to make a fresh install of Python Mode for Processing 3? Or is there some workaround? I was really hoping not to be forced to use Python Mode for Processing 4…

1 Like

Hi @SLG,

I’m sorry to hear of this development. Processing Python mode has no longer an active maintainer, unfortunately. This is a sad state of affairs, and I wouldn’t count on the Add Mode… / Contributions Manager way of installing it to be fixed soon. In the past I managed to copy manually the folder with the mode files to make it work with Processing 3.5.4, which can be a bit confusing for students.

My personal choice has been to abandon using Processing Python mode and to start using Thonny IDE + py5 and the thonny-py5mode plugin. There can be some installation issues on Macs and Windows, but at least there is an active community around the project.

1 Like

Try downloading a fresh version 3.5.4 from Processing.org and see if you are able to run the following code:

def setup():
    size(400,400)

def draw():
    fill(255,0,0)
    circle(width/2,height/2,100)