Exported program runs very poorly on Raspberry 4, but the program uses no system resources

Been troubleshooting my program since I got a Raspberry 4, I tried increasing GPU mem, overclocking the GPU, until I realized with htop, the program doesn’t even use any system resources. I’ve tried to increase the frameRate too but it has just made the program a lot laggier. It runs on P3D with a moving image behind another. Using openjdk 11, I tried openjdk 8 too but didn’t make a difference.

When launching the program, I’m getting a few warnings as well. Wondering if they’re relevant:
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by com.jogamp.common.os.NativeLibrary$3 (file:/home/pi/Desktop/HelpDesk/application.linux-armv6hf/lib/gluegen-rt.jar) to method java.lang.ClassLoader.findLibrary(java.lang.String)
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of com.jogamp.common.os.NativeLibrary$3
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

Processing has never actually supported the RaspberryPi4, processing4 doesn’t actually support running on any RaspberryPI. However both py5 and PiCrate both run fine on RaspberryPI4

1 Like

If it doesn’t support Raspberry Pi, how come if you export your program in Processing 3.5, it also makes an armv6hf version? Also it’s Java, isn’t Java supposed to be universal? I’m beginner coder and don’t want to learn another language from scratch…

As a beginner coder, you may not appreciate that some aspects of processing rely on native code, which may not be supplied / accessible. A further complication is the hard float jdk required. Originally hacks were needed for processing to run on the RaspberryPI but seem not to be needed on RaspberryPI4. I mention py5 and PiCrate because, they also rely on some java code and clearly work. Both have their advantages over processing in that they are both essentially python or ruby and not reliant on the processing pre-processor. It’s the processing ide that is likely to give you grief in the absence of specific support from processing.org.

1 Like

So there’s still no way to ”fix” the program to work better on Raspberry?
If that’s really the case, what alternative coding language would you suggest that should work?

The illegal access error message (jdk11+) can be solved by using the jogl-2.4.0-rc.jars as processing-4.0 does. However none of this stuff is suitable for novice programmer. If you can hack python then you can install py5 on RaspberryPI4 as I have done (but that is still at development stage). I am biased as the developer of PiCrate but that requires a JRuby installation, which is easiest done on the ManjaroArm distro.