Can't run the first example in "Getting Started"

I started processing v4.1.2 for the first time and typed in the first example from the overview, i.e.

ellipse(50, 50, 80, 80);

and the message area immediately turns red and says `the function “ellipse(int, int, int, int)” does not exist’.

So I guess something about my installation isn’t right, although all I did was extract the tarball and run processing from the directory it created. The ~/sketchbook directory was created ok and there were no error messages upon startup.

Suggestions? I didn’t see this particular problem in “Troubleshooting”.

1 Like

Yeah

Try to put size (660,660); before it?

If I do that, it says `The function “noLoop()” does not exist’?

1 Like

I assume you downloaded the correct version for your operating system (windows/ Linux)

I downloaded the version for Ubuntu, and here’s the output of uname -a on my computer:

Linux tims-17Z990-R-AAS9U1 5.4.0-137-generic #154~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 10 16:58:20 UTC 2023 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

And here’s my java --version output:

openjdk 17.0.5 2022-10-18
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 17.0.5+8-Ubuntu-2ubuntu118.04)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.0.5+8-Ubuntu-2ubuntu118.04, mixed mode, sharing)

Is it possible I need to set an environment variable to tell it where to find Processing’s libraries (even though they’re in the same directory as the executable)?

That’s possible, I really don’t know

Against the chance that there is someone out there who CAN help debug this issue, here’s the output of running the “processing” script with LOGGING=1:

APPDIR=/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2
DIR=/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/java
L=rt.jar
LIB=
JDKCP=
SUCCESS=0
CLASSPATH=/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/lib/ant-launcher.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/lib/ant.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/lib/flatlaf.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/lib/jna-platform.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/lib/jna.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/lib/pde.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/core/library/core.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/core/library/gluegen-rt.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/core/library/jogl-all.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/modes/java/mode/JavaMode.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/modes/java/mode/antlr-4.7.2-complete.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/modes/java/mode/antlr.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/modes/java/mode/classpath-explorer-1.0.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/modes/java/mode/com.ibm.icu.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/modes/java/mode/gson.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/modes/java/mode/jdtCompilerAdapter.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/modes/java/mode/jsoup-1.7.1.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/modes/java/mode/org.eclipse.core.contenttype.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/modes/java/mode/org.eclipse.core.jobs.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/modes/java/mode/org.eclipse.core.resources.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/modes/java/mode/org.eclipse.core.runtime.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/modes/java/mode/org.eclipse.equinox.common.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/modes/java/mode/org.eclipse.equinox.preferences.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/modes/java/mode/org.eclipse.jdt.compiler.apt.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/modes/java/mode/org.eclipse.jdt.core.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/modes/java/mode/org.eclipse.lsp4j.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/modes/java/mode/org.eclipse.lsp4j.jsonrpc.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/modes/java/mode/org.eclipse.osgi.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/modes/java/mode/org.eclipse.text.jar:/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/modes/java/mode/org.netbeans.swing.outline.jar
PATH=/home/tfhavel/Applications/processing-4.1.2/java/bin:/home/tfhavel/.local/bin:/opt/gradle/gradle-5.4/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin