Be Aware : Useful project

Be aware, it is a program that includes all kinds of science in all its departments. The purpose of this program is to make people educated, knowledgeable and aware of everything in an easy and accessible way. If we want to get a certain information, we go online and look and take a lot of time to get what we want. Be aware, it will make getting information easy, because it contains everything in a structured and well-organized way. If you want to know something in any area, just login to the program and find the section that you want to find something in one of its sections .This is my idea that I want to make it real and I will. What do you think of the thought of this project. I want to know your suggestions, and do you want to join me .

1 Like

What am I going to benefit from this in my project?

A sense of scale, hopefully.

2 Likes

I think the scale/scope of your project is too big.

It’s probably a problem of your vocabulary when English is not your first language (English is not my first language either); but science is a very broad subject. It contains psychology as well as math and astrophysics. Too big.

The result would be something like Wikipedia. But Wikipedia does already exist and would hard to achieve if you were to create a 2nd version of it.

How can we make your project reasonable small?

I suggest you choose one type of science, e.g. physics. You could pin that down to Classical mechanics and here turn to subjects that can be shown experimentally / graphically (since processing is mainly about graphics).

So you could do :

Overview

Math

You could also go for math and do

• sin/cos, trig, PI, triangle, 2D functions in a coordinate system, 3D functions in a 3D coordinate system, circle, Pythagoras-Theorem, Fibonacci-Number, pyramid… see Wikipedia

Chrisir

1 Like

I know it’s a big project, so I want someone interested to join me. I like your opinion and your beautiful idea, and I will put that in mind, I will choose one type of science and then start adding later. For my language, I try to do it well, my first language is Arabic.

Gamal.

1 Like

What would be the improvement of your project over Wikipedia?

You could make a program that links to Wikipedia articles in a reasonable way so that articles in Wikipedia are more easy to find by your program. (Well I guess it’s not possible because there are millions of articles, 5,825,538 articles in English)

1 Like

That’s why I want someone to join me. My ideas are limited and I have to share ideas with someone. Besides, I want to make this program more organized than anything else

1 Like

Hi @Gamal,

I am moving your idea and question to Project Guidance. Gallery is for sharing projects once they have been finished.

This “Be Aware” is not related to your GSOC question, is it? For GSOC you should look at the Processing list of areas to propose contribute.

Organizing and retrieving general information is usually not the kind of software that is written by one person – or two people, or five people. Major search engines like Google or Bing employee a large programming staff. Wikipedia has around 3500-12000 high-activity editors. That’s thousands of people working to organize information.

If your goal is to organize even better than they do, that isn’t impossible – for example, PageRank was a small team effort, and was able to improve on Yahoo and DMoz manual indexing – but that was done by PhDs in computer science.

Today most people don’t build their own information system in the same way that they don’t build their own airplane out of metal. An airplane is big and complicated, and takes lots and lots of people to make. You CAN build an airplane all on your own if you really want to – maybe a special glider, or a Wright brothers recreation – but the general public would never want to use your plane for daily flights.

If you do want to store, index, or retrieve information, that isn’t really anything that Processing is good at. If you want to work on search / information retrieval interfaces, I do not* encourage you to use Processing or p5.js – Processing modes are not good languages for that kind of problem.

Instead, for a concept like indexing science knowledge, focus on learning full-stack web development. Look at existing technologies and platforms, like search engines, wikis, forums, databases, keystores, and web crawlers. Also study existing examples – for example, WolframAlpha and math – but realize again that these often represent decades of work by large teams of people. You will never build an SUV or a suspension bridge by yourself – there are better starter projects in engineering, and there are much better starter projects in software development than general knowledge indexing systems.

If you are interested in historical ontologies of knowledge, one interesting example was DMoz – however its hierarchy approach eventually failed in competition with indexing and linking services like search engines and wikis.

Another interesting example is WordNet, which organizes words by concepts:

https://wordnet.princeton.edu/

2 Likes

Hi @Gamal
I would like to introduce a twist to your idea. What about creating a chatbot that you can add to p5.js web editor? You see, chatbots are becoming popular. You should do some research in the next couple of days about chat bot concepts and what impact could bring to the P5.js community. Wouldn’t it be wonderful that you are typing some code and you get some suggestions based on what is on the sketch? Maybe a robot that helps first timers work in their first sketches and answer typical noob questions? Before you focus in the actual code, learn about what is the approach to design one and then think how it could help and improve user’s experience (learn who is your public). When you start implementing the chat bot, you can use your initial search optimization to provide single or multiple suggestions focus to the domain of p5.js code. I hope you like this idea…

Kf

1 Like

So it seems the welcome bot is already in discussion: GSOC 2019, Ideas for p5

Kf