Welcome back? I haven't been away

What is it with this “Welcome back” (WB) fashion? I’ve just changed laptop and signed in to the forum on the new one, new browser, no cookies. The login page had “Welcome back”. I haven’t been anywhere, and was probably still logged in on the other one. “Welcome” is nice, WB is for after you have left job/country/club for a while and you come back.

I know lots of banks use WB, even when they force logout after 5 mins and you log in again, but it’s wrong. When I first encountered computers VAX VMS c. 1980 the login had “Good Morning” or “Afternoon” depending on time. Slightly amusing but logical. Now we have AI but we’re not using simple logic and language correctly.

(Just a minute, it said WB before I had signed in, it had “create account” there as well. Is it saying WB to new arrivals? this is getting worse.)

2 Likes

Hi

This is the generosity and welcome of the forum

Just because you thought to login. :hugs::hugs:

1 Like

@jafal, Thank your for taking a pic of it. Generous but wrong. If you went in a hotel or cafe where you’d never been before and the owner says “Welcome back” you’d think either he’s taken me for someone else or I’ve been here before but forgotten.

1 Like

Hi

Yes you are true but the idea of welcome back is for members and note that at the bottom there is create your account … They won’t be welcome back yet :smiley:

1 Like