Sound in Processing with Jackd on Linux Ubuntu

Hey, folks!
I use Processing with sound library.
The sound is heavily chopped – as I make dramatic LFO treatments – with the native Pulseaudio server, so I try to use Jackd to see if it is better…
But I have no sound as I start Jackd…
How to force Processing to use Jackd?

2 Likes

You can potentially run jackd with the pulseaudio sink, but I’m sceptical that will improve matters much. I’m not sure the Processing Sound library has a jackd backend? You could look at using Beads instead, which does although I don’t know how much development has been done in recent times.

You could also try using PraxisLIVE which has its own audio library, Pipes, that will be released separately soon and supports this. I wrote the Java binding for jackd that is also used in Beads and other libraries originally for PraxisLIVE.

2 Likes

You can potentially run jackd with the pulseaudio sink

I do, but it doesn’t work for Processing. It works for Spotify, for example.

Beads

Thanks for the tip, I will try this! :slight_smile:

PraxisLIVE

Looks powerful! Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

As I try to launch PraxisLIVE, I have this error message in terminal: Cannot find java. Please use the --jdkhome switch.

What am I supposed to do?

1 Like

Beads

Do you have, by any chance, a tutorial for Beads? All the links I found are dead… :expressionless:

1 Like

Found this, finally: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/51513113/sonifying-processing-the-beads-tutorial-computer-music-blog

2 Likes

Was trying to find you a link to that that was still alive! Glad you found one.

With PraxisLIVE I assume you didn’t install via .deb? You need OpenJDK 8 installed. Or an OpenJDK 11 from anywhere but Ubuntu - Processing libs will crash the distro JDK 11.

3 Likes

I installed the .deb package, yes. As I can’t find a package in the official repository…

1 Like

OpenJDK 8 installed

It works! :slight_smile:
Now, I’ve got to learn! :smiley:

Processing

I tried minim library: it works jacked and smooth… The problem was the sound library… I wonder why this is the official documented library of Processing? :thinking:

1 Like