Question: Processing on Archlinux | Using Emacs as external editor

Hello,

I just got interested in Processing lately and thinking of trying it out. Does anyone run archlinux by any chance?
There is this processing package (Processing 3.4-2) in arch’s official repo, but after the installation it mentioned:

Processing does not really support OpenJDK, only Java from Sun and Oracle.
Supported Platforms · processing/processing Wiki · GitHub
If you counter any issues with this package, please file bug reports with
Processing and/or OpenJDK until Processing can officially support OpenJDK.

Seems like the processing from archlinux’s package uses the OpenJDK version of java:

• java-runtime=8
  • java-environment=8

So instead of using that, I should manually download Processing from the official website and extrat the .tgz file? And within it are everything needed for running Processing (java included) ?

By the way, is it possible to use an external editor like Emacs instead of the default Processing IDE?
I see a emacs package from Melpa called “processing-mode” but its descriptions says it’s for processing 2.0.
Does anyone know if there’s still a way to use emacs as the editor these days?

Thanks in advance.

you can edit .pde files many ways,
also using IDE like environments help when you work
with several .pde files in the projects
because they can be all open in TAB windows.
for your linux GEANY might work too:

Hi! I’ve been using Archlinux for 4 years now, and Processing for over 10. The OpenJDK warning? I just ignore it :slight_smile: It has always worked fine for me. I use the Arch package, not the website download, because then it’s always up to date. Once though the package was broken for a few days. But if you are using Arch you know it can happen.

I can’t say anything about editing PDE files in Emacs. But you definitely can edit Java files in Emacs. Personally, I use the PDE for small prototypes, but for any project using classes I use IntelliJ Idea. Do you know Java? If you do, you can use any IDE or editor you want that works with Java, and use the Processing JAR files as an imported library. It involves some small changes to your programs, but it’s very convenient and the autocomplete and refactoring features of such IDEs can help you a lot while coding.

3 Likes

Just an update on the state of processing on Archlinux, since jdk11 became default there is an issue with the processing launch script see @malan88 comment https://github.com/processing/processing/issues/4415, and my reply. Currently I believe it is probably better to recommend jdk8 usage, rather than file a bug on Archlinux.