Processing on Debian: library initialization failed

I am having an issue running Processing 3.4 on Debian GNU/Linux sid.
Processing would immediately terminate and show the error “library initialization failed - unable to allocate file descriptor table - out of memory”.
My machine is equipped with 16GB of memory of which 13 are available.

It doesn’t appear to be a permission issue either. Any ideas?

sorry i can not comment on that error you have,
but sure:
i run Processing 3.4 on Raspberry Pi what has only

• 1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM ( and that shared with GPU )

and on OS RASPBIAN

DEBIAN stretch
Linux version 4.14.79-v7+

so the RAM is not the problem.

but pls tell us more about what you did?

• is it first installation debian
  • first install processing / first start attempt?
  • or was it running and you installed any library?

as you point out that you use DEBIAN “sid”
so what rev you have actually installed?
possibly a other user here uses it too?

I think it makes sense to see if it’s an issue with Java of sorts. In Processing’s folder, there’s “java” folder, and in there “bin” folder, that contains “java” executable. Try running it through the terminal with an argument
-version , and tell us what it returns.
On a separate machine I have access to with little RAM, doing that simply causes it to say “not enough memory”, and doing it on my laptop causes it to print version information.

Thank you both for the help.

It is a first installation on this particular Debian machine. I have run previous Processing versions on other Debian sid systems with no problems.
The error is triggered literally simply by unpacking the .tgz archive and launching ./processing. I’m not running the install.sh script because I don’t need shortcuts or file associations.
The java shipped with Processing is java 1.8.0_181, but I don’t know how revealing that is given that it is shipped with the software.

just for info: on my Raspberry Pi i have:

pi@RPI3BP:~ $ java -version
java version "1.8.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_65-b17)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.65-b01, mixed mode)
pi@RPI3BP:~ $ 

but acc

i could upgrade too? better not, as all is running well

It was more of a check if java executable would give any errors or work normally.
Hmm, I don’t know, but maybe you could figure stuff out by looking into processing with a text editor? It’s a shell script too.
I feel like there could be a way to launch Processing with some argument so that it would work… At the same time, that would probably be a useless waste of time… I don’t know. ._.