Processing Integration with Max/MSP

Hey all,

I was wondering if there was any interest in trying to integrate Processing into Max/MSP. Processing is such a powerful program for creating visual environments and I think it would be great for integration with an environment like Max’s jitter. Max is already such a power multi-media programming language and it will be that much more power with processing. Max already has javascript integration which makes it very apt for p5.js. The only issue is converting the canvas into a jitter matrix which then can be manipulated in Max. I experimented with moving pixel values from p5.js to jitter through the use of OSC but it was too many values for the protocol. I was wondering if anyway has any suggestions to try and make this happen? Or if something like this already exists?

1 Like

Yes. I believe it is possible. I’ve done some prototyping. I find that one reason this hasn’t been addressed yet is that there is not a lot of overlap with the programming paradigms. A lot of people who are comfortable enough with Processing aren’t sure how to work with Max and visa versa.

I was about to post something along the lines of yours because I think it’s time. I know someone at the Processing Foundation and I think I’ll talk to them about this. Basically, a version of Processing can be integrated into Max as a JS library. This library can be used with the Max object, [jsui]. This object grants you access to Red Book OpenGL. It also requires an earlier ECMAScript version of JS.

In my screenshot you’ll see that I wrote a JS object mimicking the features of Processing. So everything is in place to actually make this work. I personally just don’t know enough about many OpenGL fundamentals to make this completely.

And oh yeah, we met at the Max meetup, right?

Hey! Nice to meet you (again)!

The JSUI implementation is something interesting to create custom user interfaces.

I am also interested in getting Processing working with Jitter. If I can just figure out a way to get a canvas to output as a matrix, then I can do all sorts of jitter stuff.

Yeah sending it to Jitter would be interesting. Yeah, the concept I have only uses the JSUI object but the options are robust, in my opinion.