Processing compiled .exe will not start in win7 startup folder

Greets to all! I have a Processing project completed and exported as a Win32 .dot-exe file. It is being run on a Lenovo Atom processor. Newly installed Win7. Absolutely nothing I’ve tried will allow this program to run on boot. After scouring the web - I have tried all the ‘usual suspects’ and the program will just not run on boot. I can double-click the .exe file and it pops right up.

Sad thing is - this WAS working under XP - but I went and ‘upgraded’ the Lenovo to Win7 and now it seems nothing can make it run. I’ve even created Tasks for it and STILL it is ignored!

I have installed ProcMon to see if I can learn anything - and so far it is all pretty opaque!

Hoping somebody might know of some obscure setting that would prevent a simple .exe from executing at startup.

pls. give the details:

• -a- how you make the exe
  • -b- where to you copy what files
  • -c- how you enable the autostart for it.

-a-
in Processing IDE 3.4 open sketch and use
[File][Export Application]

select (*) windows

-b-
goto startup folder
c:\Users<YOU>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
and create a shortcut from your win32?64? application

-c- check the msconfig startup

and select tab [Startup]
snap-042
should be activated

-d- reboot
snap-043

1 Like

The .exe files are made with the Export feature of Processing. A series of folders gets made in the project folder, and contain the .exe file as well as related data. You can export for Windows 32 & 64 as well as Linux.

From there you just put a shortcut to the .exe you want to run at startup in the startup folder - which is now strangely not working in my install of Win7. May go back to XP or maybe Linux.

The .exe files are made with the Export feature of Processing. A series of folders gets made in the project folder, and contain the .exe file as well as related data. You can export for Windows 32 & 64 as well as Linux.
From there you just put a shortcut to the .exe you want to run at startup in the startup folder - which is now strangely not working in my install of Win7. May go back to XP or maybe Linux.

that’s bad, as i show above it works on my PC
win7 32bit / SP0 / processing 3.4 /

again, did you see it in the
msconfig/startup tab?

Sadly, Processing 3.4 does not run on the Lenovo Atom processor used for this app. It is a stand-alone that runs a display in s museum and none of the operators are technically inclined. Plus the Lenovo processor is free - Processing 3.02 WAS working with WinXP. I Changed to 7 in hopes of getting 3.4 to run, but still no go. So I’ve wasted 2 days “fixing” a problem that wasn’t there. :woman_facepalming:

in your first post you say

so actually it does not matter what PC, CPU, Processing version you have.
what matters is only how to do the autostart

i asked about the

• folder you use ( for the shortcut ) and esp. the
  • msconfig/startup tab?

For 2 daysI have scoured the 'net looking for how to set up the auto start and have seen MANY solutions - and tried them all I have tried many many combinations - creating a Windows Task, putting both the .exe OR a shortcut in all the various standard Win7 startup folders and noting will start. And yes - in MSConfig/Startup I see my Task and also the correct path to the Processing script and another to the actual .exe. I’ve also edited various Register paths for xxx/Run and still nothing will boot. Win7 simply boots and nothing happens. If I click on a shortcut to the app - it runs as it should. I’m not a noob at this sort of stuff so it IS rather perplexing that i cannot get it to start. It DID under XP… - I may have to reload that.

• You might consider getting some Linux distro in your laptop too. :penguin:
  • You can install it alongside Windows in another HD partition. :minidisc:
  • You can config any app to run in startup on Linux. :wink:
  • Some nice Linux distros to consider: :smile_cat:
  1. Peppermint: PepperMintOS.com
  2. LXLE: LXLE.net
  3. Linux Mint: LinuxMint.com
  4. Zorin OS: ZorinOS.com
  5. Manjaro: Manjaro.org/download/
  6. PCLinuxOS: PCLinuxOS.com/get-pclinuxos/mate/

Thanks GoTo! There is plenty of room on the disk, so that would be a great combo.

Well - it sounded like a great idea. I managed to get Peppermint installed in a partition alongside Win7 - and it booted nicely. Prob is, it sees my wireless network, but gets rejected! Want to get Processing under linux but so far a no go. My wireless is fine - iPad and other devices hooking up fine. WTF??? :slight_smile:

( in case you need WIFI only for this ?)
can you download via a other PC the Processing 3.4 LInux 32bit
http://download.processing.org/processing-3.4-linux32.tgz
to a USB stick
and copy from there to the new OS partition?

Forum.PeppermintOS.com/index.php?board=6.0

Yes - had the right stuff - just a bit rusty with Linux and didn’t unpack it correctly. Will try one more time.