Processing 3.5.3 running slow and crashing

Description
Recently, I installed Processing 3.5.3 on my computer. Whenever I run any code, the software freezes, and prevents me from typing, and closing the software. I’ve tried both 64 and 32 bit versions of Processing 3.5.3. In addition, the software runs very slowly, and takes a while to open.

Expected Behavior
I’d like it so that I can use the software correctly. Being able to run and save code, and the software being much faster to open, and use.

Steps to Reproduce
I’m not sure how to reproduce this, as all I’ve done is install and run the software. I’ve been trying to diagnose it myself for about 2 or 3 days to no avail.

Your Environment
Processing version: 3.5.3, 64 bit (I’ve also tried the 32 bit version)
Operating System and OS version: Windows 10, 64 bit.
Other information: The software is running on a school network, but on an account administrator privileges.

-A-

– now that is a annoying thing that the startup with the intro picture takes so long
until you see / can use / the sketch editor window.

• Processing 3.5.3 / linux arm Raspbian/ Raspberry Pi / 1GB Ram: 37 sec
  • Processing 3.5.3 / windows 7 64bit / I5-3210M / 4GB Ram : 28 sec

( and also i would like to know how much different that is using a high end hardware )

-B-
but lets put that startup aside and talk about your problem:

• edit mode:
    after the startup you can use the editor and load some examples,
    or write your code
    ?? is there any problem loading / writing / saving to your sketch dir and finding it there again??

to have common ground we should use the same minimal sketch but what show the
performance:

void setup() {
  size(500, 500);
}

void draw() {
  background(200, 200, 0);
  fill(0, 0, 200);
  text(nf(frameRate, 1, 1)+" FPS", 10, 15);
}

-C-

• run mode:
    there are so many things you can code what slows down the system,
    like very big canvas/ size() … image pix operations …
    or “mistakes” like repeating loading files from draw()…

so let us compare above code:

i have no idea if

• some special setup of your restricted school network PC’s
  • or just old hardware

can cause slowdown, but
when i click RUN on above example can see the canvas ( and speed FPS number )
in 3 secs.
++ on a 40$ computer with 1GB Ram only

1 Like

I see Processing start in about 4 seconds (ArchLinux on 4 year old i7 laptop with 16Gb RAM or Ubuntu on a recent i5 with 8Gb RAM, both on SSD) and sketches run in about 0.2 sec on the first, about 1.0 sec on the second. I always wondered why these times are very different across computers. Like programs taking 5 to 10 seconds to run when I get 0.2. I don’t see similar time differences when using other programs, I have the impression it’s related to Processing or Java.

Maybe if a few people post their times we can see a pattern. For instance I have very few fonts, and I think this makes a difference in some systems.

2 Likes

Hello, thanks for the response I really appreciate the help. I followed your instructions and copy pasted the code. Before pasting, the software runs fine. I can change the settings, etc. And the same goes even after I pasted the code. The issues start when I press run.

When run is pressed, nothing happens. You can’t close the software, or change settings or anything like that. No window pops up, and the terminal at the bottom doesn’t changes. When I press stop, the software starts to lose it’s UI and stops working

Screenshots:

yes, looks bad, esp. as no error window…

? did you try to save that sketch first?
with processing there are 3 storage directories involved / more for running.

pls show us full path to:

• drive:/path/processing-3.5.3/…

and:

• drive:/path/sketchbook/optionalworkdir/yourproject/yourproject.pde
  • drive:/path/processing/preferences.txt

what you both find at
processing IDE / File / Preferences
( first and last line )

now you need write privileges on that path’s
( and later the students TOO. )

1 Like

http://www.filedropper.com/processingtosendonline