Paint program using hands or touch

Hey! I’m fairly new to processing and am trying to workout a project that I have in mind. I created a simple paint program where I can pick a color using the mouse and paint with that color in a rectangle. Now that is working fine, but I would like to be able to paint with my hands. Either on screen on which a projector projects the sketch and where I can paint on touch. Or have the webcam track my movement and paint like that. I just have no idea where to start and if the first option is even possible. Can somebody maybe advise me how the continue or what to buy(like f.e. arduino) to be able to do this? Thank so much. :slight_smile:

Hi, @amsbcn Welcome to the forum.
This is possible yes. For example, you can find tutorials about movement detection with a webcam here on Daniel Shiffman’s youtube channel. If you would like to use your phone’s camera instead, I’ve written an Android code here. Then you can transmit real-time movement data to a PC over wifi, and use a big screen with your fullscreen app running. A communication code between phone and PC you can find here. Here’s a video of the movement detection with a phone. You can invent different types of brushes and so on. So there is enough stuff to start with.

2 Likes

Hi Noel, thanks for taking the time to answer me. I will have a peek at the things you mentioned, but these seem like more than enough leads. Thanks! :smile: