P5.js programs runned from Processing IDE not working under Edge

Hi everyone.

I’m not sure to post in the correct group and topic, so please excuse me for the inconvenience if it is not the case.

Here is the problem. We are introducing a new informatics course to all students of our highschools. That’s the reason why we’ve requested last summer our IT support to deploy Processing IDE on all of our computers (Windows 10), what they did. On those computers, Edge is the default browser.

Now, when you write a p5.js program and run it from Processing IDE (what is fine for beginners so they don’t have to install a local web server as Xampp in order for everything to work well, everything being integrated into Processing IDE which has its own local web server service), Edge is launched and it tries to open the main html page of the p5.js project (http://127.0.0.1:8858/).

I write ‘try’, because it does not succeed, returning the error message:

This website could not be found.
Error Code: INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND

Now, if just after that you launch Chrome and copy / paste URL(http://127.0.0.1:8858/) in its address bar, the p5.js program runs fine into that browser…

We opened a ticket to the IT support requesting them to solve the problem. One solution would be to set Chrome as default browser. But no way (they are Microsoft aficionados, it’s a miracle to have Chrome on our computers…) The other would be to search, find and correct problematic Edge parameters. But no way here too. We were told to ask our students to switch manually to Chrome each times they run p5.js program from Processing IDE… Not very nice for them.

So does anyone here has already had trouble to run p5.jus program from Processing IDE into Edge? Any idea how to resolve it?

Thanks so much for your precious help :slight_smile:

Laurent

1 Like

ha, i wanted to tell you that using just a browser
( double click on index.html )
for p5.js would be anyway only of limited use,
if no server running,
BUT when i try what i play with chrome ( build in ) server
it works to show ( load ) like image files.

Now i try the here ( on my WIN 10 64b ) unused
Microsoft EDGE
it worked without any server, means better as chrome and firefox!

sketch.js

let img;

function setup() {
  createCanvas(720, 500);
  img = loadImage('moonwalk.jpg');
}

function draw() {
	text("test",10,height-10);
    image(img, 0, 0);
}

index.html

<html>
<head>
  <meta charset="UTF-8">
  <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="p5.min.js"></script>
  <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="sketch.js"></script>

<style> body { padding: 0; margin: 0; } </style>
</head>

<body>
</body>
</html>

as you see in the picture, the image is rendered even it should not be possible with out server
( and when i open the index.html by firefox or chrome i see the text rendered but no image )

sorry, i have no idea why you have actually the opposite problem.

now try your situation:
use PDE and make EDGE default browser

works also fine.
note, i am normal home PC user as admin,
so that might be the big difference to your situation, user rights?

get your IT department to fix it.