Looking to the code of Processing

Hi,

my first post on this board.
I am very curious about Processing, and I would like to know something more on its underlying code.
How has it been developed, how do I get to know its core code. I see a number of books on how to use Processing, but I don’t see anything on how to develop Processing itself.

Thanks, Cheers
mario

1 Like

Processing.org/reference/
Processing.GitHub.io/processing-javadocs/core/

1 Like

Do you mean tutorials or academic papers on where the language came from and how the language was first developed in the late 1990s and early 00s? Or do you mean contribution / style guidelines for contributing to the language, as in the GitHub repo linked above?

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I mean tutorial on where the language came from and how the language was first developed. I am thinking that it could be nice to use Processing itself to show how a language how Processing could be developed from scratch.

There are no tutorials on creating the language design itself that I am aware of, but there are currently over 13,000 commits on the Processing 1-3 repo, with work on Processing 4 continuing in a separate repo. The earliest commit in the main repo is July 2001 –

You can navigate the history of those early revisions here:

You may also be interested in early academic books and papers. Some of these are cited in the books that you have already found. Joanna Maria Berzowska’s Computational Expressionism (1999), Maeda’s Design By Numbers (2000), and early publications on Processing by Reas and Fry ~2000-2003. These describe some of the thinking about designing a Java-based graphics language for artists circa 2000.

• Maeda, John. Design by numbers . MIT press, 2001.

• Reas, Casey, and Benjamin Fry. “Processing: a learning environment for creating interactive Web graphics.” ACM SIGGRAPH 2003 Web Graphics . 2003. 1-1. https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/965333.965390

• Reas, Casey. “Programming media.” 2003.

1 Like

Thanks so much. I will look for those papers.
I am listening for further advise.
Best wishes
mario