Icons smaller than intended

When custom icons are placed in the sketch folder, the icons appear with padding (in circles) on the emulator - smaller than intended. See the example: The orange icon, icon-96.png, is a solid 96x96 pixel rectangle. What’s the trick to generate icons that fill the entire circle (cut to circle shape, not resized to fit into circle)?!

Weird:

A: A filled 96x96 pixel circle is displayed as intended: Nice, big icon.
B: My icon inside a filled circle of this size is displayed as big as intended
C: My icon inside a hollow circle of this size is displayed too small
D: My icon alone is displayed too small

Apparently some code takes a look at the icon and makes these decisions. How to override? I tried to trick it by using a 1% opacity circle (so that it gets the circle, but invisible). Does’t work. Anything below ca. 90% opacity is treated as if it wasn’t there.

1 Like

Did you make any changes to the manifest?

Check `round icon resources here

Kf

Did you make any changes to the manifest?

Minor changes (version code, label, package name). The bit about icons (“<application android:icon=”@drawable/icon") is unchanged.

Check `round icon resources here

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I don’t know what to make of it. Do you suggest that I edit the manifest somehow (“apps should make sure to define both android:icon and android:roundIcon resources when responding to launcher intents.”) or that copying icon-xxx.png files to the sketch folder is not going to work for large non-circular icon (such as Drive in the screenshot above) and that Android Studio and its Image Asset tool have to be used? I see scaling options (crop, shring to fit) in the tool’s screenshot that sound intresting. But I wouldn’t know ho to use it with Processing for Android. I don’t suppose it outputs “special” png files.

Thinking about it, the round icon option in the maniffest might only applied to wearable devices so it might not be a solution to your problem.

Processing does not altered Android code. All the Android tools and settings are available to you but you need to bring them to your sketch. You just need to read the documentation of those features you want to include. I bet this problem with icons has already been seen in the Android community.

Also,

You can edit the manifest anytime. Just keep an eye on it as the manifest can be changed or re-generated in certain situations and you would need to introduce these changes manually.

Kf