How do I create an executable including various files?

Yes I know to do File > Export Application but it just doesn’t work when I run the executable. I am guessing it is probably a problem with one of the files I am using. This includes a .ttf font and a .txt file. I also use some images but these come from a url so I don’t think that would cause an issue. So is there something different that has to be done when including fonts or editing a text file?

1 Like

Check to see that all of your media files (images, fonts, etc.) are in the “data” folder. Sometimes Processing can find and load these files from the PDE, but not from an exported application.

1 Like

I don’t see a data folder anywhere. I usually just keep the files in the same folder as the pde’s

This is probably the reason your application isn’t working. All of the media needs to be in the “data” folder so the application can find it. Here’s a quote from the image() function reference with information:

Images must be in the sketch’s “data” directory to load correctly. Select “Add file…” from the “Sketch” menu to add the image to the data directory, or just drag the image file onto the sketch window. Processing currently works with GIF, JPEG, and PNG images.

2 Likes

Adding to REAS, you can add external files in the PDE by going to the menu sketch>>Add File…. This ensures the file is added inside the data folder. After you make sure your app runs in Processing, export it and give it a try. If it doesn’t work, explore your export folder and make sure you can find your data folder there. If not, you can manually move it there. I have seen problems before in other posts that the data folder was not copied. If this happens to you, please report it.

Kf

2 Likes

Alright this worked. I have been adding files wrong all along. Thanks for the help

1 Like

Thanks for the help. Didn’t realize I had to add files this way. It works now