GSoC 2019 - Improving Processing (Python)

Hello!

I’m Sushanti from Vellore Institute of Technology, India.

I’m currently looking to begin my GSoC journey. I would be more than interested in working with Processing for Python specifically working on Image Processing libraries, creating and improvising codes for flocking, particle systems, object motion, etc.

I would like to go ahead and propose a project for the same and work under a mentor for GSoC. Could somebody kindly guide me through the process? I would also love to get in touch with others working along these lines and have a chat.

1 Like

I’m assuming you’re referring to the native Python port of Processing
https://github.com/p5py/p5.

would be more than interested in working with Processing for Python
specifically working on Image Processing libraries, creating and
improvising codes for flocking, particle systems, object motion,
etc.

Is there something specific you have in mind? For the last summer of
code we added image support to p5py (see release notes:
https://p5.readthedocs.io/en/latest/releasenotes/0.5.0.html). What
extensions to Image support do you have in mind?

In general, we’ve listed the issues that need work (and will be
priority for) in this GSOC. Take a look at them here:
https://github.com/processing/processing/wiki/Project-List#-native-python-and-processing-priority

Would be happy to answer more questions!

2 Likes

Hello Abhik!

Having worked with Image processing (specifically OpenCV) extensively, I would like to work on improving the Image Shape class. I would also like to work on adding additional features to the existing libraries.
Like last year’s GSoC consisted of making circles when pressed with a mouse, I would like to develop something which bridges the gap between OpenCV and Processing and find a middle ground.

An idea that I think would work is including Contours, Edge detection, etc.

@abhikpal any suggestions about this and how I can go about preparing a proposal and more so where to focus on?

@Sushanti I think that’s a great idea. Currently I am also working on similar areas and using the same for my gsoc proposal as well. Let me know if we could collaborate on this.

1 Like

Having worked with Image processing (specifically OpenCV)
extensively, I would like to work on improving the Image Shape
class. I would also like to work on adding additional features to
the existing libraries.

Unless I’m missing something, I don’t see how OpenCV relates to the
existing Image and Shape classes. In its current form, the Image class
is just used to render external images and the Shape class just helps
drawing and manipulating 2D shapes.

An idea that I think would work is including Contours, Edge
detection, etc.

@abhikpal any suggestions about this and how I can go about
preparing a proposal and more so where to focus on?

p5py doesn’t have any video support at the moment. If you’re
interested in working with OpenCV focusing on adding video support
first might be a feasible summer goal (this is also listed in the
Project List).

I would also recommend writing a prototype first to gauge the
difficulty of the project. It will also give us an idea of what needs
to change internally.

2 Likes

Hello Sir!
Thank you for the reply. I was a little confused about what exactly the beginContour() and endContour() does. Now that I have read about their official documentation, I have a fair idea about contour and shape classes.

I had an idea in terms of SVG - when pressed and pulled - to enhance the image and then turn the process into an animation. I also think we can incorporate functions like translate(), rotate() and scale() into this. It feels like this idea can go forward Sir.
Example : Say there’s an image, the user can drag the image from the original size. We can take each frame of this and turn it into an animation and let the user manually input the rotate or translate function. We can have a small video of anyone’s face zooming in and zooming out while rotating and translating.

Any thoughts about this idea Sir? @abhikpal

Sure! Would love to get in touch and discuss ideas.

I had an idea in terms of SVG - when pressed and pulled - to enhance
the image and then turn the process into an animation. I also think we
can incorporate functions like translate(), rotate() and scale() into
this. It feels like this idea can go forward Sir.

Are you thinking about something like this
https://processing.org/examples/animatedsprite.html? In combination
with the other things you already mentioned (contours, adding SVG
support, etc), I would also consider addressing one more related point
(say, improving font support, for instance).

This could make for an interesting proposal.

2 Likes

Hello Sir!
Thank you for this.
I went through all the examples listen on https://processing.org/examples/animatedsprite.html and I found some of them to be really interesting under Drawing, Interaction, Animation and Image Processing. I see that last year’s GSoC project was inspired from the ‘Pattern’ code.

I would like to form a proposal to make something new along the lines of Drawing/Image Processing and implement all of this for p5py. For eg: using the mouse to adjust the size of the image while incorporating translate or rotate and turning this into an animation in the end, plus improving the font support as suggested by you.
Does this align with the priorities set for this year’s GSoC Sir? I would also appreciate some tips about how I can work on my proposal for this Sir.

On a parallel note, have Image processing examples present in Java(brightness, edge detection, blur,etc) been implemented for Python? If yes, are there any further improvements needed for the same?

@abhikpal

Hello Sir!
I’m in the process of making my proposal. Does the following align with this year’s priority list?

GSoC 2019 Deliverables:

• Improvisation of Image classes namely beginContour(), endContour() to bring the Python mode on par with Java.
  • Addition of codes to p5py:
  1. User interactive animation: The user gets to upload an image, drag it out, add concepts like translate(), rotate() and this entire process will be turned into an animation.
  2. Ripple simulation: The user can press anywhere on the screen and the it creates ripples from that point continuously in decrementing intensity. The color of the ripple will be different every time the user presses it.
  • Building on the font support from last year

Font support and improvements to the Shape class seem reasonable. The
additional points you mention are closer to p5py examples than core
features of the library. I would recommend tacking some additional
point from the main project list.

1 Like

I agree with @abhikpal that contour and font support (plus perhaps some others) seem like a good idea. An image animator and ripple simulator do not seem like good ideas for a GSOC proposal – focus on core library features (which would be used by many different kinds of software, not on demos. You could also make simple demos as part of documenting features, but the demos should not be the main focus of your application – the main goal is to enable programmers, not to give people fun apps.

One minor note for your application: you should write “improve” / “improving” image classes. “Improvise” / “Improvising” / “Improvisation” is to create something in the moment with no pre-arranged plan, as in “improv comedy” or jazz music improvisation.

Instead you want to make things better, to improve things, to make an improvement:

1 Like

If you are interested in supporting this with extra features at the library level, I would also suggest going through the examples lists of the Processing API – including as implemented in Java or JavaScript – and spend a few minutes trying as many of them out as possible, to get a better sense of all the things that Processing already does.

After that, take another look at the p5py priority list – a key goal for p5py is to close the gap with what p5 / p5.js can already do.

1 Like

@jeremydouglass @abhikpal

While working on building font support and improvements to the Shape class, I would really like to work on adding extra features to the animation part.

I will be trying out a few codes from the provided links and experiment a little. I will revert back with something more meaningful. Thankyou for all the feedback.

@abhikpal @jeremydouglass @Manindra

I’m sorry for the late response Sir. I know it’s late but it’d be great if you guys could suggest any changes or give any kind of feedback about the proposal.