Can I acquire the largest FFT magnitude value without playing through the whole file?

Trying to figure out how to convert the FFT units to an Amp value in processing proved to be very confusing and complex, but when I play through the whole file, I can find the maximum FFT output and just use that to calculate what I assume is the correct Amp. For example, FFTx/maxFFT gives me an Amp value that sounds right to my ears.

What I’m wondering is if I can just quickly find this max FFT output in the file rather than having to play through all of it.

Are you referring to Processing Sound FFT, or minim FFT?

http://code.compartmental.net/minim/javadoc/ddf/minim/analysis/FFT.html
http://code.compartmental.net/minim/fft_class_fft.html

Can you give a short example of what you are trying to do?

I was just testing if I could replicate a sound file using a sine oscillator, which I got fairly close to (but limited by the draw frames and amount of oscillators I can run - about 185 at a time, also bands). I wanted to replicate the volume it plays at as well, so I tried to figure out how to use the value i get in the frequency bins of the FFT spectrum. So I have a value update throughout the clip with the highest FFT value. Then use that as the maximum volume. I was just wondering if I could acquire that maximum without having to play through the whole file.

Edit - example code:

import processing.sound.*;

SinOsc[] sine = new SinOsc[22000];
SoundFile file;

FFT fft;
int bands = 1024;
float[] spectrum = new float[bands];
float[] ampOl = new float[bands];

float maxAmp = 0;

void setup() {
  String audio ="Example.wav";
  file = new SoundFile(this, audio);
  file.amp(0.01);

fft = new FFT(this, bands);
  fft.input(file);

for (int i = 0; i < 22000; i++) {
    sine[i] = new SinOsc(this);
  }

}

void draw() {
if (file.isPlaying()){
  playSines(185);
  }

}

void playSines (int sineNum) {
  fft.analyze(spectrum);
  ampOl = sort(spectrum);
  int[] ampNy = new int[sineNum];
  for (int i = 0; i < sineNum; i++) {
    for (int j = 0; j < bands; j++) {
      if (spectrum[j] == ampOl[bands - 1 - i]){
        sine[i].stop();
        ampNy[i] = j * file.sampleRate()/(bands *2);
        //if (spectrum[j] > maxAmp) { maxAmp = spectrum[j]; println(maxAmp); }
        sine[i].play(ampNy[i], ampOl[bands - 1 - i]/0.0057671145); //0.0057671145 is maxAmp value

}
    }
  }

}

void mouseReleased() {
  if (!file.isPlaying()) {
    file.play();
  }
}

I know this is a very incorrect way of doing what I want, but I’m still figuring this out… -_-’