Cache buffer keeps expanding


#1

After upgrading to Android mode 4.0.3. with Processing 3.4 I experience problems with a growing size of the cache buffer on my device. Tried different devices and ways of installing, directly on the device and a completely build apk installed on the device. No difference, each time the app is started and closed the cache buffer expands and easily exceeds 1 GB. Tried also the simple sketch from https://android.processing.org/install.html with the same result.
Looked for solution to clear the buffer programmatically but what I found didn’t work. It looks for older Android versions. Posted this also in GitHub as an issue.
Hope someone can help or indicates if they experience same behavior.


#2

hi @Hans
this word “Arduino” here is confusing and might be a typo

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ReleaseNotes

pls. edit your post.

add it might be required to give info about the processing version
and the Android version you compile for and run under.


#3

Hi kll,

Thanks for the heads up, I edit my post. Mostly working with Arduino and Processing.

Main question is if others can check their installed Android app for that same behavior and share that information.

Greetings Hans


#4

To clarify my problem I made a few screenshots. (from the basic example sketch)

With cleared cache:

After opening and closing ten times:

After opening and closing twenty times:


#5

I have the same problem, and I think this problem is new, because it doesn’t happen on my old sketches installed on my phone.


#6

Same experience here. Old version didn’t had this problem. Thanks for the reply!


#7

I just tried to reverse to Android Mode Version 4.0.2, and it does not have the same problem.

Using Android Mode Version 4.0.3: cache increases like crazy, more than 300MB.
Using Android Mode Version 4.0.2: stable 53KB of cache.

Same sketch, same functionalities, both seem do work perfectly, the only notable difference for me is the cache size. I think you could manually reverse to the old version until this get fixed.


#8

Great, that works. Thanks!

I’ve tried to go back to Android mode 3.0.2. because of errors caused by the Blepdroid (Bluetooth LE) library, which I still would like to use. But it gave multiple errors. Never tried a more recent version.

Hope they will find solutions for these new problems.