360 Degree image

Hi. how can I load and draw a 360-degree image on processing?

Can I get some more details? What exactly do you envision when you say “draw”? What’s the format of this image? Do you have any example code?

I say this in the nicest way possible: You cannot ask a one-sentence question of anyone, and expect decent help. There’s just nothing to go off of, and while I could make assumptions, I don’t want to spend 10 minutes on a solution you already explored.

Sometimes, you have a programming problem that is really difficult and mind boggling, and you feel like the only solution is asking someone else - and I get that (ive been there too often).
But if you’re at your wits end and you’ve been tearing your hair out over this problem for a week, tell us! We’re human, just like you, and the great thing is most people here are super willing to help.

In short, what will help lead to a quicker answer is communicating everything and anything you think will be able to help others, help you.

3 Likes

i mean Display the image.

actually i wanna know is there any function on processing specially for 360^ image. for example using image(); function i can display 2D/regular image. also there is an .example code for that. is there any example or documentation for 306^ image?

usually 360^ image format is .JPEG

Like I asked before, I need more details.

As far as I know, there are multiple ways to store 360° images, the most popular being cubic, which look something like this:
Cubic

However, for all I know, you’re referring to a 360° panorama:

From my experience, no. But it looks like someone has attempted it before:

https://www.openprocessing.org/sketch/55336#

However, according to this SO post
the most common way to “view” a 360° image is to apply it to a 3D cube.

I want to emphasize that I have never worked with 360° images before - but I assumed someone out there (on the internet) ran into this problem in the past. Some googling led me to a handful of useful webpages. The key here is being able to deconstruct your problem into “google-able” pieces, and then focusing on each of them individually.

2 Likes

Please check the BoofCV library. I believe it has a module to manage 360 images.

Kf

2 Likes

I’m not clear if you want a 360 degree ring image (like a diorama) or if want a spherical (or cubic) image, with free camera movement on every axis.

A common term of art for the latter is “skybox.” For example, here is a long list of past discussions of skyboxes on the old Processing forum:

Most 360 cameras are two wide angle lenses back to back. Is there an easy way to get the two images side by side just as they come from the camera? I’m interested in recreating some of Matt Parker’s tricks with 3D cameras and Processing would be the best environment to do that if it could easily obtain video streams from those cameras.

1 Like

“most” won’t get you good advice in this case, as there is not a strong standard. Please cite a specific camera model (or models) that you are trying to work with.

I was thinking something like this. I don’t actually own a 360 camera right now but if processing got support for one, I might get one to play around with.

1 Like

You might be interested in processing vr libraries.

https://www.google.com/search?q=processing.org+vr
https://github.com/codeanticode/processing-cardboard (now bundled)

In general, I don’t know of any other specific hardware support for the desktop – maybe others are aware of something. I suspect you would just be getting a big video file and then texturing a surface with the frames in a p3d sketch.