"2001: A Space Odyssey" retold using Processing

Hello World and dear Processing community!

Here’s my first Processing project I’d like to share with you guys.

The idea:

• feed the program with a database of images
  • calculate the average color of each image in the database
  • feed the program with an input image
  • rasterize/split the input image into several equal cells
  • calculate the average color of each cell
  • replace each cell with the next best color match from the database

I was looking for something like this:

3f8fd3fd728eb2999fea62f4dac83271
That first milestone got reached pretty quick so I decided to explore some variations of it…

Let’s make a video:
I first wanted to try how this would look on an sequence of images.

• I first needed a way greater database of images since we would now have around 25fps to replace
  • I searched the internet for a free database of images that would let me download these via an API
  • I stumbled upon pixabay.com which would let me download a reasonable amount of images simply by using a token in a http-request
  • So now my little .pde would first download a new database of images on each run

I was pretty excited to see the first result, but unfortunately it turned out to look like a puree of wrong pixels rather than an interesting and pleasing mosaic look that I was looking for… But let’s not loose hope yet!

(I regrettably can’t show you the result since I deleted it (#idiot) and my .pde won’t run anymore since my access token at pixabay is expired… But trust me, you didn’t miss anything!)

An infinite zoom ?
Alright so what could be the next variation of our little mosaic programm since videos wouldn’t do it.

Well I have an image based on images, why not create something close to an infinite zoom ?
If we scale up one of the cells to fullscreen and so on, we could maybe get something interesting.

And so it was!

But we need a story!
Since I am also into filmmaking, I wanted a bit more than just an so called “effect”. Maybe we could use it to narrate something or even to retell something.

So I needed a story, and a story that people would know.

A Space Odyssey:
My professor at uni came up with the idea of Kubrick’s classic “2001: A Space Odyssey” and I decided to give it a shot with an infinite dezoom!

• To get the database I exported every second of the movie to a an .jpg into a ‘frames’ folder
  • Now I had around 9000 images
  • I manually picked stills from the movie and exported these into a ‘keyframes’ folder
  • The .pde would now first go trough the ‘frames’ folder and only save the images which differ enough from each other into an array list
  • It’d reduce the amount from 9000 to around 400 images to play with
  • Afterwards it’ll process the n+1 still to a mosaic and place the n still into its center cell
  • The n+1 mosaic will then be drawn so that the centered n still is fullscreen
  • It’ll then scale the n+1 mosaic down on every draw call until the n+1 still goes fullscreen
  • And so on until the last still.

See for yourself:

http://youtu.be/eeUTmjLwOJU

It still got some issues like the moire that comes from the downscaling algorithm in Processing.

The next step would be to check if a picked image from the database was already picked to get more variance in the final mosaics.

I hope your guys enjoyed it and I’d be glad to get some feedback!

Credits
I really would like to thank my good friend Ole who really made this possible since he is the brain behind all the math here.

29 Likes

Like most people I have watched many movies on the Internet but that was just the most amazing experience.

Congratulations on a truly remarkable piece of art.

4 Likes

Really mesmerizing! Well done :+1:

I wonder if you could get enough “pixels” using only the still frame of the movie. Inception style =)

Absolutely incredible! My favorite movie of all time and you encapsulate the experience. I particularly liked the reversals at approx. 6 minutes and 7 minutes, because that’s what would happen in a wormhole!

1 Like

I love everything about this project–thank you for sharing :exploding_head:

1 Like

One of the coolest Processing projects I’ve seen! Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Awesome project…

Congratulations!

2 Likes

great you shared and told the process of getting to the result. Inspires and gives confidence processing is a great tool to even create polished material above prototyping.

2 Likes

Great Work ! Thank you for sharing (F)

Love it but made the mistake to watch it while having a hangover :nauseated_face:

ncie stuff, congrats!
i’ve been trying to retrieve img search on pixabay too.
but I even can’t manage to get some img, I get this failure when I try to use loadimage with any pixabay link
java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 403 for URL: https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2015/04/19/08/32/rose-729509_150.jpg

I can map all the hits in JSON objects and print them properly like “previewURL” and similars…
but it’s up to load images… ti fails. anybody tried something similar?