Video within a shape (or alpha mask)

Hello everyone!, I´m rather new into processing, but I have experience coding. I want to put the video streaming withing a an irregular shape (it doesn´t have to be a rectangle).

My approach, I did a b&w mask image with the same proportions of the windows. The white part of the mask is where I want to put the video pixels.

So these are the steps.

• I get pixels from the video streaming

• I scan the mask by row and columns, and if this locations corresponds to a white pixel, I put the pixel of the video to be rendered.

My problem, is that this approach doesn´t respect the shape of the mask at all.
Any advice is very appeciated, thanks a lot

1 Like

Is your video streaming has the same dimensions than your b&w mask?
Can you post a screenShot?

There are multiple examples of masking in the old forum. This one is recent:

masking PGraphics with PGraphics creates background where it's supposed to be transparent - Processing 2.x and 3.x Forum

Although this is applied to an image, you can apply it to a video object as it extends from PImage.

Kf

1 Like

Thanks @josephh and @kfrajer for your responses. I searched in the forum and wasn’t able to find something. I will read it. Regardless the dimension, I was going to check that in order to apply a scale factor for columns and rows.

As soon as I could try something, I will post about the results.
Best

@rossig7 This problem reminds me of this example from P5js - https://p5js.org/examples/dom-video-pixels.html but it masks the entire video frame which I don’t think that’s your goal for your project. The best of luck to you and these problems is what helps add to the functionality of processing in the future:-)

Some more examples using mask(). Check them out and consult the reference for specific details. Ask if you have any question: The first link is probly the one you are going after.

How to copy a triangle out of an image - Processing 2.x and 3.x Forum
Masking a shape with another shape - Processing 2.x and 3.x Forum
How to create 2D lights for game ? - Processing 2.x and 3.x Forum
How to draw a transparent PGraphics image? [SOLVED] - Processing 2.x and 3.x Forum

Kf

3 Likes

Sorry for my late response, I´ve been working on another project, as soon as I have time, I will tell you about my advances. Thank you all! I have a lot to read ahead.

Hello, I’ve been working with alpha video mask, and i have this sketch working
The process is
I have a qtre video Animation.
With ffmpeg I extract the alpha mask ej:
ffmpeg.exe -ss 00:00:00 -t 00:00:50 -i blender/0001-14524.mov -vf alphaextract -y -r 60 0001-14524_alpha.mov
and cut the orgininal longer file to the exact time
ffmpeg -i input.mov -ss 00:00:00 -to 00:00:50 -c copy 0001-14524.mov

and now i convert the two videos in mkv
ffmpeg.exe -i 00-50s_alpha.mov -vcodec libx264 -pix_fmt yuva420p -y 00-50s_yuv_alpha.mkv
ffmpeg.exe -i 00-50s.mov -vcodec libx264 -pix_fmt yuva420p -y 00-50s_yuv.mkv

Reading this threat I using the Shader Example in processing Aamon Suggestion
See: File > Examples > Topics > Shaders > ImageMask

and changing images instead videos

this is the result:
(note: run in presentation mode)

1 Like

Thanks a lot for sharing…I will see your example. I couldn’t try it on P5 yet.

1 Like