Problem with live video feed in Processing

Hello,

I’m learning Processing and currently having problem with displaying video from webcam using Processing Video library. the console shows this:

Processing video library using bundled GStreamer 1.20.3
Scanning GStreamer plugins... Done.

(Processing core video:23010): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: 16:48:23.550: gst_bin_add_many: assertion 'GST_IS_ELEMENT (element_1)' failed

(Processing core video:23010): GStreamer-CRITICAL **: 16:48:23.558: gst_element_link_pads_full: assertion 'GST_IS_ELEMENT (dest)' failed

and the display window is black.

Can anyone help with this? I’m running Processing 4.0.1 Apple Silicon version.

Thank you,

Hello @thinh.pham I have noticed the same issue and reported it on Github (see link below). It seems like the video library is currently broken on Apple Silicon.

2 Likes

You could also see if this example works for you - gst1-java-examples/SwingCamera at master · gstreamer-java/gst1-java-examples · GitHub

Might help narrow down whether this is a bug in Processing Video or lower down the stack.

1 Like

Just saw the following workaround suggested on the Github issue.

cam = new Capture(this, 640, 480, "pipeline:avfvideosrc device-index=0 ! video/x-raw, width=640, height=480, framerate=30/1");

This worked for me on macOS 12.5.1 (Monterey) on an M1 Macbook Pro.

3 Likes

Also try "pipeline:autovideosrc". If it works, that is at least cross-platform.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! The following worked for me:

cam = new Capture(this, 640, 480, "pipeline:autovideosrc ! video/x-raw, width=640, height=480, framerate=30/1");
1 Like

What about without the caps bit too? eg. just "pipeline:autovideosrc". If that works it would exclude one possible problem. I need to do more testing of the GStreamer bindings on native Apple Silicon (currently still doing most stuff with x86_64 JVM via Rosetta). Might be something awry going on in device discovery, or the way that Processing Video is using that.

Thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile: However, I’m not sure I understand what you mean. Could you share your version of the line of code in question?

Just -

cam = new Capture(this, 640, 480, "pipeline:autovideosrc");
2 Likes

Thanks! It technically works but the image gets stretched.

1 Like