Problem with german umlauts (UTF-8)

Yes Android Studio exepts it. But Processing is a Java wrapper, so I have to accept it, as in reference. No idea why they implemented this.
Also apde uses exact same core , so I do not understand this.

I have troulbe installing the selectFile library. After downloading it through the Library Manager I have to select “Install Compressed Library”. When doing this I immediately get back to my code, there is still no library. Any idea how this could be fixed? Do I really have to install it manually?

edit: I installed it manually now, but it would be nice to know for future library installs.

Yes. Like I said I only work on a tablet. So does Android PC install automatically? I want to give you a hint because you work with big files.Because of the fast run speed, of the apde, I run the sketch already after a few lines of code to see if there is any error. But after a lot of editing the text is showing up slower and slower.in the editor. (with big sketches) The solution I found was to copy and recopy the sketch folder out and in the sketchbook. (The tabs will rearranged alhabetically) Then everything is fine again. I already issued this on github.

No Idea how to fix this one? Thank you really much for the hint above!

Often the library does not have the files correctly structurally ordered, and apde is very critical about that. So I normally download the lib directly from github to my device. The name has to be the same as the lib. (remove master and that kind of stuff)
Then I go directly to Install Compressed Library, and a list dialog will be opened where you navigate to your downloaded zip file. If it is well structured it will install.
Maybe you have already read this

I tried to install SelectFile just as you explained above, and I also read the Installing Contributed Libraries Tutorial. When I selected the zip I downloaded the dialog closed and SelectFile still wasn’t installed…

Like I said. It’s the order of the files. If you verify the files you will notice this. Try this link instead.

I already tried this link, because I found it in another topic where you posted it. Didn’t work. Installing Contributed Library crashes and I get to see my code.

It works perfectly on my Lollipop and KitKat.

What do you mean by that? APDE crashes when you install the library? Or it installs but your sketch crashes when running the sample code?
What Android version do you use?
It works perfectly on my Lollipop and KitKat.
Is your device rooted?
Please try to install this app of the sample sketch to see if it runs.

Android 9. APDE doesn’t really xrash when I install the library, but the dialog I opened (Tools/ImportLibrary/ManageLibraries/Install compressedLibrary) is closed and the Editor (where I can see and edit my code) is visible again. Afterwards the library I selected before still is not installed.

@pauscha

@pauscha Did you try the app I send to you of the slelectFile sample file?
It is import for me to know if that my apps work.
If after all we discussed the lib does not install on Android Pie, we have to issue this on github.
It’s a pity., because you would love the run speed.

I have a custumizable List file class. But it is not a folder explorer. If you only need to save/read one particular folder it serves well. Do you ou want to try it ?

One other thing you can try is to unzip this file directly into the sketchbook/libraries folder. If all goes well you will see the lib as installed in the Library Manager. I have tried this before and it works.

I tried the app and it works fine so far. Another thing, I think there is a misunderstanding here: I was able to install the library, not through the standard library installation process, but the manual installation tutorial. So the library is installed.

I just deleted all calls of “switch(String)” and I’ll test now if my umlauts work with APDE. That would be great!

How often does that work? Once or several times?

As many times you wish. You can also reinstall APDE. Will have the same effect.

Interesting, but if it helps :joy:

Another day I posted a snippet for saving files on android. But someone said that it did not work on Pie. He only could save one folder above absolute path . Is that true?
I’m really worried about my apps not working on higher android versions.

I never tried to save something more than one folder above the absolute path. Most of the things I want to save are internal data and do not have to be sorted in a structure of folders, but I was able to create a folder and save a text document in it on the internal storage. I probably used Android 8 at that time. If you send me a link or something to a working apk I could see if it runs under android pie.

Since my last post, I made my code ready for APDE and umlauts work! Thank you really much for that tip.

I don’t know if I should close the topic, because I don’t have a solution working on Windows Android Processing, which is what I was looking for.

I’m now able to export the app with working umlauts, but when coding, I still have to see these cryptic symbols, because I don’t want to type on my tablet or transfer the code after every change.

How do you synchronize your code so you can execute it on your tablet? How often do you synchronize?

On my phone I use a free app called “Folder sync”. With that you can load or save your project into “Drive” with just one click. You can choose from remote to local. On PC I’m sure you know how to synchronize with Drive.
This way you can test your sketches without usb cable.

I’m not sure if I should close the topic, because I still don’t have an answer for android processing, what would be helpful because I wouldn’t have to change all umlauts and compile with APDE every time I want to release a new version.