Porting GLSL from Shadertoy to Processing

A few years ago, I wrote an example on how to port GLSL shader code from Shadertoy.com to Processing. Since then, Shadertoy has changed quite a lot (adding a lot of new uniforms and input methods) so an update was long overdue.

You can find it here: https://github.com/SableRaf/Shadertoy2Processing

There is still work to be done, but it should be a good starting point for anyone wanting to learn about shaders from the great material available at Shadertoy, and experiment with it in Processing.

I hope that will be helpful to some of you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Raph :slight_smile: Nice work!

In the TODO I see “supporting multipass shaders”. The PixelFlow library does that somehow. Maybe it can be useful to study how it works there. See https://github.com/diwi/PixelFlow/tree/master/examples/Shadertoy (Expansive Reaction Diffusion).

0 Likes

Very interesting! Thanks hamoid. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Hi Raph:

In the TODO, I want to know how to do “input Sound”. I have a project about “music visualization”. Help :dog2:

0 Likes

I suspect the only way would be using one of the Processing audio libraries (like Sound, Minim, Beads or something else). With such libraries you can load a sound file, play it, get the FFT analysis, and send the FFT values to the shader as a uniform.

Shadertoy plays Soundcloud using their JavaScript API but Soundclound for Java or Processing seems to be no longer maintained since 4 ~ 5 years ago:

But: you could use p5.js, access the Soundcloud API, get the FFT, and forward the data to a shader, everything in the browser (unfortunately without using @sableRaph’s library).

2 Likes

Hi Hewes,

I’ve been working on the sound input example. You can follow this issue on the repository for updates:

0 Likes

@hamoid And here it is. Not “expansive” though :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Update:

• The sound issue has been solved! Now features both FFT and Waveform. Thanks @hamoid for the tips!
  • @morisil, your multipass example is now merged. Thanks a lot for the contribution!
2 Likes