Hi All.
Years ago I accidentally stumbled across a fractal written in Processing on Github called the “Pinwheel Fractal”. I didn’t think much of it until I got into Lazarus/Pascal programming and made a version ( at Lazarus Forum Link ). While the rendering of the fractal had some nice geometry, it lacked color effects (as it was usually one color) I did however make a random fill as well (but it was not all that appealing).
Years later I did a search for the basic form of Pinwheel Fractal on the OpenProcessing, but could not find the simple triangular form of it so I made one here:
Basic Version (OpenProcessing):
OpenProcessing Link Site
While drinking a triple blended coffee in my backyard (and pondering about life in general) I was looking at all my fruit trees in full blossom, with all sorts of wonderful colors, I realized then, that the Pinwheel fractal needs some extra color effects. I did some searching on the internet and found some research papers outlining coloring techniques … so I started “PLAYING AROUND”.
After pulling an addictive P5 JavaScript programming “All-Nighter” I eventually came up with some really nice renders.
It did this by:
Making different Fill Rules
Playing around with some coloring schemes.
Tweaking outlining (and when not to have it).
Joining 2 triangles to make a rendered rectangle pattern.
Playing around with Alpha/Transparency
I will upload my P5 JavaScript source soon but meanwhile …
I decided to do it in P5 JavaScript, as it could make some exceptionally nice graphics and I even have an export to SVG (which is harder to do in Lazarus).
Have a look at the samples below (I reduced the file sizes to upload to this forum).\
What do you think?
What;s next?
Well I am sort of thinking “Trouchet” Curves !




