[p5.js editor] Bad gateway error

I´m constantly getting bad gateway error come up the last couple of days …and my students are too.
Is anyone else getting this?
I can´t see any open issues about it on Github.

Because of that I switched to openprocessing last year. It is much more reliable in technical sense as of my experience. But, openprocessing has also compatibility issues on Safari browsers. In the end, It is the downside of online services. @ProcessingOrg should notify the community whenever the servers are going to be down or in maintenance. It would be great to have such precaution to avoid such situations.

2 Likes

We’re aware of the issues with the p5.js Web Editor. The p5 editor Lead Dev mentioned that the editor experienced some crashes at the start of the week. Although the exact cause isn’t clear yet, they have implemented some patches that should mitigate the problem. They will continue to monitor and address this throughout the week. Please share any specific issues you or your students encounter as that will help diagnose the issue. Thank you for your patience and for bringing this to our attention.

2 Likes

Great to hear!

Have the patches already been implemented ?
( I just got a bad gateway error again a minute ago )

It’s happening to myself as well as various students

• on various different P5 sketches
  • working with all sorts of content
  • tested on Chrome, Firefox, Safari…

I imagine some of them are on different operating systems too, but will have to check.
We are all using Macs and I’m on OS 12.6.3.

What further details from our side can be of help?

Here is a screenshot of the latest time it has happened.

1 Like

Thanks for the update, and I’m sorry to hear the problem persists.

Have the patches already been implemented?

Yes, patches were deployed yesterday intended to resolve various crashes with the editor. It seems we might need to investigate further given the issues you’ve described. Your detailed report is very helpful, and we appreciate your patience as we work through this.

cc @raclim

1 Like

The p5.js editor has been experiencing intermittent outages since earlier this week. We’re currently investigating this issue and will provide updates as progress towards a resolution is being made. Incident reports for the editor can now be tracked on the new status page for Processing Foundation software. You can also refer to this Github issue for more details on our efforts towards a fix.

Thanks so much for your patience and understanding as we work to resolve this issue!

2 Likes

Well, sure OpenProcessing is nice too. But a part of it is paying. I’ve been using p5js editor with my students for more than 5 years and it has been more than 99% of the time available and so is reliable (professional tools are also not 100% reliable and online, ever worked with Microsoft ones?). Thanks to all the people of the community who are developping p5js editor, don’t give up and go ahead, it’s a great tool! From my poin of view interface is lighter and easier to use than OpenProcessing for beginers. But actually there shouldn’t be competition between these projects but cooperation. Rember you can also support Processing by donating : Processing Foundation — Donate :innocent:

1 Like

Hi @Laurent, I just wanted to clarify that I didn’t mean to imply that one platform is better than the other. I was only sharing my personal experience with both platforms. I respectfully disagree with your opinion. In my experience teaching students who have no programming knowledge, I have found that openProcessing’s editor has better library integrations than the P5JS editor. However, it is true that you need to pay for additional space beyond the 20 MB limit, which I personally do not like. Thank you for your advice. By the way, I contribute to the community by creating free open-source apps, tutorials and libraries. In my opinion, the purpose of these forums is to encourage healthy debates and to drive the community forward.

I guess you two are making the same point to embrace different tools but the wording may be misleading and sound against each other.

My two cents is better having different options (so if one platform is down, there’s a fallback) but I can understand that in teaching it’s not that simple.

1 Like

this is still happening…
this was just now, on OS 12.6.3 … Chrome 124.0.6367.93

It also seems to be no longer possible to duplicate sketches?
Or at least, it´s intermittent in functionality … and was the same last week - again, for many of my students - so on different browsers and OS

Hi @sambushes thanks so much for sharing your issues here—I’m really sorry that this is happening and how it must be really frustrating for you and your students to continue to experience this. There are several issues contributing to the crashes, so we’ve been pushing out a few fixes last week to work towards a resolution. Based on some recent reports, it seems like some of these fixes might’ve impacted duplicating and deleting sketches, which we’ll hopefully reach a full resolution altogether for by the middle of next week (New updates on this will be share on this Github issue (shared earlier)). Thank you so much again for your patience and please continue to report any new issues that you’ve been experiencing, which will help us pinpoint a complete resolution more quickly!

4 Likes

Hi! Over the past few days, we pushed out a few changes to hopefully mitigate the amount of crashes that were occurring, and finally narrowed down the cause for this to two issues that occur when a user logins to their account, and when a project is retrieving or deleting assets.

We’ll continue to provide updates until a complete resolution has been found. Thank you again for your patience and please let us know if you encounter any other issues that might be related to this!

3 Likes