More an issue rather a coding question

I start to play with an implementation of brainf*ck. Works well so far, until it come to more complex bf code, like the mandelbrot.bf.

Issue is, that while printig the result using the print statement sometime some printed characters are
ignored. See fline 1 and 6 of the result. The * is the carriage return and part of my debugging.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBBBBBCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCDDDDDDDDEGFFEEEEDDDDDDCCCCCCCCCBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB*
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBBBBCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCDDDDDDDDDDEEEFGIIGFFEEEDDDDDDDDCCCCCCCCCBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB*
AAAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBBBCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCDDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEFFFI KHGGGHGEDDDDDDDDDCCCCCCCCCBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB*
AAAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCDDDDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEFFGHIMTKLZOGFEEDDDDDDDDDCCCCCCCCCBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB*
AAAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCDDDDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEFGGHHIKPPKIHGFFEEEDDDDDDDDDCCCCCCCCCCBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB*
AAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEFFGHIJKS  X KHHGFEEEEEDDDDDDDDDCCCCCCCCCBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB*
AAAAAAAAABBBBBBBCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEFFGQPUVOTY   ZQL[MHFEEEEEEEDDDDDDDCCCCCCCCCCCBBBBBBBBBBBBBB*

So the result at the end the lines looks different from time to time, so other lines are affected.
I have seen this in some of my programs, but the behavior is different, cause while using large number of debug print statements Processing freeze. Interseting enough independent of the last few versions and OS. I have this behaviour on Win 10, and Raspbian on a 3+ and Raspbian x86.

Is there a know limitation recommended for print statements or is this a more complex issue of memory management in the underlying java?. I also increased memory, but no change.

So it is not such an important issue for me, but wants to know if somebody else have similar issues while using print/println heavily.

Stay save and at home.
f42ter

1 Like

What do you mean when you say the lines look different? Can you give an example of what you expect to print compared to what’s actually printing? Can you post a small example program that shows the problem, so we can run it ourselves to help debug?

1 Like

Thanks for offer your help. Output is correct when using text instead of print in the console.
It occurs in this particular case only when running mandelbrot.bf in my processing brainf*ck emulator.
I’ve seen this behavior in some other of my sketches when using large amounts of println debug statements.

My issue was to understand if my bf interpreter is working properly. Cause many other tests work well. And mandelbrot is a stresstest.

2 Likes

The console ini PDE is intentionally throttled / cropped. That prevents it from having negative performance impacts on everything else. So the console is not a good place to debug very large repetitive text outputs – don’t stress-test print() or println(), it will drop contents by design. Instead, dump those to files – or dump into a variable like a String / StringBuffer, then run tests on the contents (test-driven development).

1 Like