Memory error when trying to load many image files

I ask for help and forgiveness if the question is stupid. But I ran into a problem.
I am from Ukraine and my English is bad, so I am writing through a translator, do not hit for errors, please)
The essence of the problem:
I wrote the program. Was at the stage of loading the necessary files and saw that a memory error occurs.
I began to understand the problem and this is what I came up with:
IF ATTACHING MORE THAN 204 FILES THAT IS THE CLOSING OF A SKETCH AND A ERROR:
a.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Failed to allocate a 1280012 byte allocation with 648856 free bytes and 633KB until OOM

How did I come to the number 204? I created a stress test. I attached pictures many times and fixed the number and total weight of the added files.
Initially I thought that it was a matter of weight, but practice showed that the weight could be 130 megabytes and 76 and 35 megabytes. I checked it on three files of different weights. So it’s not about weight?
HERE IS THE STRESS TEST CODE:

PImage[]twis=new PImage [1000];
PImage[]test=new PImage [1000];
int stage=0;
float mb=0;

void setup(){
fullScreen();
background(200,200,200);}

void draw(){
background(10,10,10);
if(mousePressed==true){
stage++;
mb+=0.465;
twis[stage]=loadImage(“a1.png”);
mb+=0.645;
test[stage]=loadImage(“a12.png”);
mousePressed=false;}
textSize(30);
fill(200);
text("Прогрузилось "+stage, 100,100);
text("ВЕС mb "+mb, 100,150);}

And yes, the problem initially arose when I attached the files I needed to the main sketch. They were drawn in the program as the files for the test.
But Processing did not want to attach more than 30 pieces. I do not know what the matter is, because I replaced these pictures with something else and everything worked again up to 204 files. Maybe this is some kind of anomaly, I do not know))

But now the main question is 204 files.
Is this a limitation or what? I need more files)) And yes, I write on android.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hey There!

Looping through so many images and loading them over and over will be taking alot of memory loadingImages should be done in setup.

I tried to do this in setup () {}; but the error from 204 is not lost.

1 Like

Set your memory in processing higher in file - preferences. Also put s for loop which scrolls through each array index and loads the images.

I apologize, I do not know how to put the memory above. Can this be done with android?

for () tried, but it did not help.

tried and manually in setup:
imageName[stage]=loadImage(…
stage++;
stage++;
stage++;
=Error 204. ;(

Ah sorry I misread . The sketch is being loaded on a phone then ? Are you using a real android phone or emulating ?

nothing wrong that confused. I mentioned this at the end and did not focus attention. my mistake.

Really android.

The device your writing code is Android then ?

Yes. Yes. Android Game)

I think we need more context and more code.

I sent all the stress test code, it is all from A to Z. It has an error. It’s not about the code, though, I think that there might be a phone case? or you can somehow remove the “restriction” … can somehow allocate more memory? but the matter is not in it, namely in 204 files. If you have the opportunity, then check on your device, please. APDE weighs a little, the code above. Can you?

I found a solution to the problem. You need to set the previous image to zero so as not to clog the memory))

1 Like